Respected Contributor

@goldensrbest wrote:

@SilleeMee wrote:

I realize that you can't help who you fall in love with...but I think he should have known about the consequences of his marriage to MM long before it happened. They made their bed.

What consequences? And why?

The consequences are he's royal, she's not. He has a great family, she doesn't. He's British, she's a spoiled American. He's been around the block enough times, what did he think he was getting, she's older, a divorcee, and sounds like a trouble maker to her Family and some who know her. I'll give them 6   years.

It's what 2 years? I'm already tired of them. When did Harry ever make a good choice?In America we call him,XXXXX  whipped.

Honored Contributor

There ya go.

Queen Elizabeth spoke out via official statement.  The palace spoke out via official statement.  Harry spoke out via actually speaking out Woman Very Happy

Hopefully they're all finished speaking out until a year from now when this is revisited.

There are many elements: wind, fire, water
But none quite like the element of surprise
Honored Contributor

I've been giving this thought and, while I've got a very good life, if I loved a British prince and married him, I would do my best to be an asset and appreciate the advantages rather than whine about the requirements. Being a player in history, meeting people other's only see on TV, traveling the world, the parties, the fashion, the jewelry. It's an easy job with a staff taking care of all the details and only having to show up.

Respected Contributor

@HLP wrote:

@goldensrbest wrote:

@SilleeMee wrote:

I realize that you can't help who you fall in love with...but I think he should have known about the consequences of his marriage to MM long before it happened. They made their bed.

What consequences? And why?

The consequences are he's royal, she's not. He has a great family, she doesn't. He's British, she's a spoiled American. He's been around the block enough times, what did he think he was getting, she's older, a divorcee, and sounds like a trouble maker to her Family and some who know her. I'll give them 6   years.

It's what 2 years? I'm already tired of them. When did Harry ever make a good choice?In America we call him,XXXXX  whipped.

I think it just takes me by surprise as to how far people will go with their distaste or dislike for someone that they don't really know and have no idea what the true picture of various situations might be.

But @HLP "He has a great family"?  I think you are referring to his father, grandmother, brother family?  By the tone of your post I don't think you are referring to his wife and child family?

At any rate, since we are basing things here on tabloid fodder, the tabloids have reported that neither William or Harry have a good relationship with their father and they barely "tolerate" Camilla.  In fact it has been reported that after Charles quipped publicly about not getting to see his new grandson "George" after he was born, that Harry intervened to talk to William to arrange for their father to see George more often.  That would be a good thing Harry accomplished & qualify as making a good choice, if that happened.  

What other good choices has Harry made?  Well he willingly went into the military and fought the Palace to go to Afghanistan when his unit was deployed and the Palace was going to keep him home.  And he served 2 different tours in Afghanistan.  Since he had the option to stay home and not go with his unit and fought the Palace in order to go with his unit, I would call that a choice.

It was his choice to start the Invictus games which has been very successful and meaningful to many veterans.   I will stop there, but there are many other situations in which he demonstrated making good choices.  And just like all humans, times when he made mistakes.

But as far as I know, there are no perfect humans.

I don't revere Harry and nor do I dislike him.  I do wish him well.  But really to ask when has he ever made a good choice?    

* Freedom has a taste the protected will never know *
Respected Contributor

@Marp wrote:

Let's take a vote--how many of y'all would want to walk in Harry and Mdghan's shoes for even one month let alone years?  Or perhaps you'd prefer Diana's shoes?

Hi @Marp!  Good to "see" you!  There is no way.  Count me out.  I can't imagine having every single thing I do, say, or wear under such scrutiny. And I would not want to be in the Queen of England's shoes either at any time during her life!  Just not the life for me, I guess!!

* Freedom has a taste the protected will never know *
Esteemed Contributor

I feel so bad for this beautiful couple. They will forever be on trial in the court of public opinion, due in part, to the relentless, misrepresented media coverage. It is said," what doesn't kill us, makes us stronger", and I believe they will one day emerge stronger, and wiser from this experience. I wish them well on their journey of self discovery, peace, and maturity, and wholeheartedly believe that one day, there WILL be unity for the royal family. Although the royals will will never be without conflict, healing is always possible, regardless of the circumstances. Franklin Roosevelt said, "Courage is not the absence of fear, but rather the assessment that something else is more important than fear", and I believe it took great courage for them to do this. I admire the dignity and compassion of the Queen, as she too, wished them well.

~~~All we need is LOVE💖

Valued Contributor

@dulwich wrote:

@BlueFinch  You are so right in your comments.  

Harry really would not last a week living in any regular London Borough - he always wants ‘to be one of the boys’ but really does not have a clue about real life.  Spending  a day or a few hours ‘roughing it’ with the everyday people does not count.  Not his fault just how it is.

Meghan does though she has lived/worked  in the real world she is a survivor - Harry, not so sure how he will cope without the substantial back-up he has always been used to.  Time will tell.

---

Yes, it is all "relative" in both contexts. Only my opinion, but I don't think his family should feel insulted or disrespected; he is not leaving the family, just the family business.

I doubt his new life in North America will be much closer to living in the "real world." Even a London borough would suit him better than  the real world of my Geordie family.

Esteemed Contributor

@stevieb wrote:

While I'm reluctant to post on another Sussex thread that will ultimately be shut down based on whim or bias, I'll simply note that where Harrry's speech is concerned, actions speak louder than words.

Neither of them had what it would take to stand the test of time and come out of it successfully. On top of that, either individually or collectively, they clearly both have other agendas. I'm just as happy not to have them so much in the public eye, but don't think it'll work out that way and don't actually believe for a minute that's what they really want. Both pushing forty and now they want to be 'independent', yet by most accounts will continue to enjoy funding from Charles.

If Harry legitimately no longer wants to be 'royal' one might understand that but I guess I find the timing, after his marriage and the birth of a child, suspect. Diana's fate increasingly seems like a convenient excuse. The British media might not have embraced Markle, but neither were they routinely chasing her through the streets in speeding cars.

Personally, I have little respect for them, the choice they made or the way they went about making their plans. The less I hear about them going forward the better I'll like it.

As always, well said.

The moving finger writes; And having writ, Moves on: nor all your Piety nor Wit Shall lure it back to cancel half a Line Nor all your Tears Wash out a Word of it. Omar Khayam
Esteemed Contributor

Re: Harry Speaks Out

[ Edited ]

@occasionalrain wrote:

I've been giving this thought and, while I've got a very good life, if I loved a British prince and married him, I would do my best to be an asset and appreciate the advantages rather than whine about the requirements. Being a player in history, meeting people other's only see on TV, traveling the world, the parties, the fashion, the jewelry. It's an easy job with a staff taking care of all the details and only having to show up.

That's all well and good and, for all we really know, that's precisely what Megan meant to do.

But, in your fairytale scenario of meeting famous people and getting to dress pretty, you are forgetting one thing - the press HATES YOU! They hate everything about you and will do whatever they can to bring you down.  Day after day.  And you ARE just doing your job.  But, it doesn't matter.  Every single day, someone is saying something incorrect about you.  And everyone is beginning to believe the lies! So, more and more people are beginning to hate you too.  And you can't say anything, because you aren't supposed to. You just have to put up with the hatred because there is no choice.  Oh wait...there's always another choice.

Honored Contributor
@Highlands 72. I think the family, esp the queen and Philip would be justified feeling disrespected when Harry announced the stepping back from royal duties when the Queen had asked him not to yet. And Charles who is reportedly hurt, for paying for a wedding and Frogmore renovations and H and Ms support including clothing.