Honored Contributor

@Kachina624  Completely agree. I hope we're both wrong and that they have a long, happy, loving marriage but he is giving up a lot more than she is.  His family, heritage, country.  They must have realized that Britain is a very class conscious society.  She had 3 strikes against her:  American, divorced, bi-racial.  If they were serious about leaving the royal family, they should have done it before the marriage and avoided much of this drama.

Valued Contributor
@Caaareful Shopper EXTREMELY well said and I couldn’t agree more!
Honored Contributor
@Caaareful Shopper If they stumble and fall, it's because they shot themselves in the foot!
Trusted Contributor

I don't think Harry realized just how the racism against his wife and son would affect him.  If you're biracial and famous, It's not as bad in North America as in the UK.

Trusted Contributor

@Sooner wrote:

@goldensrbest wrote:

But Charles going ons ,was all his fault, he married diana because  of  queen not allowing him to marry, the other women, I just do not see what megan has been treated the way she has,because of anything she did.

@goldensrbest I am not arguing that.  I am saying that IF one goes on, does their best, takes it, smiles and does their job, they can win over people.  

Should they have to? No.  Is it the right thing to do?  I believe it is.  It takes courage to change the world.  It takes self sacrifice and love.

I think we can all take today to pay tribute to that kind of attitude.  And think about someone who DID change the world and show us the way.  But paid dearly for it.

It isn't fair, it isn't what should be, but it changes attitudes, and it changes lives.  

Also, I think Charles and Diana were both caught up in something not of their making.  I do NOT think she was all innocent and guileless-she grew up with the royals, her sister dated Charles, she wanted "a Prince,"etc.  Even their grandmothers were in on the scheme.  It was a horrible situation with more than enough people to blame for it. . . what a tangled web it was. 

--------

But, doesn't it also take courage, perhaps, more than going with what's expected of you, to forge your own path? 

Who knows, this may turn out to be a terrible mistake, or, it might turn out to be the best decision, they'll ever make. 

If you don't try, you'll never know! 

There's a song lyric, " I'd rather be sorry, for something I've done, than for something, that I didn't do" 

Honored Contributor

@kze wrote:

I don't think Harry realized just how the racism against his wife and son would affect him.  If you're biracial and famous, It's not as bad in North America as in the UK.

I'm not famous and neither is my family. But I think I can understand how he feels because of a personal experience I went through growing up in a mixed race family. 

When my native Japanese mother married my American father in Japan, her family and friends told her that she was no long welcomed around them any longer and they said their final goodbyes.  Now you've got to remember that time in history...it was not long after Pearl Harbor and the Korean War. After they were married they came here to the states and had to endure another long hardship with acceptance, or not,  from my dad's family and friends. I'm first-born and had much to learn about growing up as a bi-racial. That's my story.

Honored Contributor
I have noted Harry's big decision on my calendar, along with my own thoughts about it. Now I wait to see how this plays out.

I always viewed Diana and her boys as special people who were put here to do good things. It was hard to read of Diana's unhappiness years ago; and I have always hoped her sons would find true happiness that was apparently not meant to be for their mother. I do wish Harry peace, and true happiness with his family in whatever they do.
Honored Contributor

I don't understand what happened..........As I recall, just about everyone in the UK were rooting and cheering this engagement and marriage.

What happened to that?

Anyway, I have a feeling that two soul minds met, and everything they beleive in meshed together in a good way for them.  

Wishing them well.

They seem to be in good standing with the Royal Family, so that is meaningful. 

'More or less', 'Right or wrong', 'In general', and 'Just thinking out loud ' (as usual).
Honored Contributor

@kze wrote:

@kze 

I read a lot of UK papers and websites and I truly never read reports/comments re: Meghan being biracial.

I sure don't know how I could've missed them!

You never know how strong you are until being strong is the only choice you have.
Esteemed Contributor

I do believe Harry was put in a tight spot.  His wife, mother of his son, obviously doesn't like negative comments;  who would.  It seems the decision to move to Canada may have been her choice.  Unfortunately, the press will never leave them alone!!!

Harry was born into the royal family, Meghan chose to marry into the same.  I think it will be quite difficult to distance yourself from your family.  I also am sorry to see Harry lose his military status.  He seemed to revere those accomplishments.  When he served as Harry Wales he stated that he just wanted to be one of the guys.

I also feel bad for Archie.  He may grow up not really knowing his cousins.  Her Majesty is 93;  I would think that the time to bond for Archie and Granny may be fading.

In all sincerity, I think Harry took the only action he could see.  I hope he doesn't wind up regretting his time away from the rest of his family