Honored Contributor

Harry Meets Landmine Victim That Made Diana Cry

The Duke of Sussex has met a landmine victim who famously brought Diana to tears 22 years ago during trip to Angola - as she revealed she named a daughter after the princess.

Sandra Thijika, who was pictured sitting on Diana's knee, described the experience of meeting the royal as making her feel 'complete'.

And when she met Prince Harry she described the encounter as a continuation of a long and beautiful story.

Harry ended his visit to Angola by meeting Ms Thijika, 38, a landmine victim who was famously pictured with his mother sitting under a fig tree in an orthopaedic workshop in Luanda in 1997.

The princess had not only walked through a partially cleared minefield in Angola to raise awareness about the issue of the weapons, but spent time with people maimed by the munitions laid during a bloody civil war.

Ms Thijika said after chatting to Harry: 'I think I met Princess Diana on a Tuesday, she came to the centre and she wanted to see how a change of prosthetic limb was done.

'At that time I was very small, I was a very tiny girl and they started measuring my knee so they could see how the prosthetic would fit.

'Princess Diana was watching this process and she started crying as she watched me getting measured for a new prosthetic.

'After they measured my knee we went outside and we sat by a fig tree and she was speaking to me and I felt very happy, I felt very complete to have the attention of a princess'.

Sandra Thijika, who was pictured sitting on Diana's knee, described meeting Prince Harry (pictured) as a continuation of a long and beautiful story

The princess (pictured in Angola in 1997) had not only walked through a partially cleared minefield in Angola to raise awareness about the issue of the weapons, but spent time with people maimed by the munitions laid during a bloody civil war

You never know how strong you are until being strong is the only choice you have.
Honored Contributor

Re: Harry Meets Landmine Victim That Made Diana Cry

This must be such an emotional trip for Prince Harry, my heart goes out to him.Heart

You never know how strong you are until being strong is the only choice you have.
Esteemed Contributor

It must be comforting to meet people his mother met, but now he has a baby of his own he must miss her more.

Honored Contributor

Diana really was such a special person.

"If you walk the footsteps of a stranger, you'll learn things you never knew. Can you sing with all the voices of the mountains? can you paint with all the colors of the wind?"
Honored Contributor

I was hoping he would meet her. Very touching moment❤

"This isn't a Wednesday night, this is New Year's Eve"