Honored Contributor

Re: Harrison Ford update

[ Edited ]

No comment.  Just wishing him and all well.  In general: If I were in his situation, I'd hire someone drive and/or fly me around.  Just until I could figure out what's happening with meds, etc.  Could be a problem with the plane's exhaust pipe, etc.  BTW, Quite a few years ago, each time I sat in a friend's car, I felt faint.  Well, come to find out, it was some sort of exhaust/manifold? (or whatever) leak.  It didn't affect the driver, though.  Just me.  I'm guessing that some people are more sensitive than others.  (I'll update/post after I find out exactly what the problem was.)   Edited to say that I just thought of something.  Maybe cars and planes should have carbon monoxide detectors installed!! (Stick-on type) .... Maybe a requirement, if at all practical.  Well, I'm going to keep one in my car, for sure.  Just for safety's sake, considering what happened to me.  All I can say is that I'm glad I wasn't driving that car. 

'More or less', 'Right or wrong', 'In general', and 'Just thinking out loud ' (as usual).
Honored Contributor

Re: Harrison Ford update

[ Edited ]

@gabstoomuch wrote:

He needs to have it taken away, and then have to test to get it back.

He was so nonchalant about the big airliner that was under him when he landed on the taxi runway, I really wonder about how his mental health is.

He is 74, if dimentia is going to be a problem for him, this would be the age to show up.

His wife should take it away! She must freak out when he says he is going flying. I know it must be a great hobby for him but he is dangerous now.

@gabstoomuch   When he had his 2015 crash for which he was given many kudos by professionals as being an expert pilot, he was very cool and calm on the radio transmissions.  Maybe what you are calling nonchalant.  Staying cool and calm in a tense situation doesn't necessarily mean the person is out of touch at all.  Just ask Sully Sullenberger who was also cool as a cucumber as his plane was doing down from the bird strike.

Honored Contributor

@geezerette wrote:

@CANDLEQUEEN wrote:

@HULAGIRL wrote:

Isn't he married to Callista Flockhart??  By the sounds of things, it's time to pull his license.  The fact that he doesn't seem to take his mistakes seriously is what's frightening.

Yes he is still married to her, his 1st wife passed away not too long ago....You never hear about Calista anymore......

Actually, it was his second wife that passed away.  In 2015, I believe.

Correct, his second, screenwriter Melissa Mathison. 

Honored Contributor

From all reports, Harrison should have known he was landing on the wrong runway.  His license to fly needs to be taken away.  He needs to be tested to determine  if he is fit to fly not just because he is Harrison Ford.  Cat Very Happy

kindness is strength
Respected Contributor

He may have some short term memory loss.  I would question all of these news reports. I never know what is true now.  

Esteemed Contributor

@Plaid Pants2 wrote:

It's one thing to worry about a senior behind the wheel of a car, but a senior at the controls of an airplane?

I think that he needs to be re-tested in a simulator before he gets in to the cockpit again.

I mean, seniors (sometimes) have to take a driving test with the DMV before their license can be renewed (my dad had to do this), so why not do the same thing with a senior pilot?

He should definitely be grounded until he can prove that he is safe, cognizant, and aware of his surroundings when he is in the cockpit.

He's fired!

Honored Contributor

@FrostyBabe1 wrote:

As a private pilot, he has to have a minimum of an FAA 3rd class medical certificate. No certificate, no license. It's not a terribly stringent exam, pretty much like an annual wellness exam with a little extra focus on neurological health. The exam does have to be performed by an FAA certified physician, and for someone his age, the certificate is good for two years. I wonder when was the last time he was examined.

Probably years ago he was examined...due to his celebrity status...NOT good!

"friends don't let friends drink white zinfandel"
Respected Contributor

@winamac1 wrote:

@FrostyBabe1 wrote:

As a private pilot, he has to have a minimum of an FAA 3rd class medical certificate. No certificate, no license. It's not a terribly stringent exam, pretty much like an annual wellness exam with a little extra focus on neurological health. The exam does have to be performed by an FAA certified physician, and for someone his age, the certificate is good for two years. I wonder when was the last time he was examined.

He passed the medical exam in 2015 and is due to take it this summer as required. He hasn't skipped or missed any required exams. They are strict about that exam for pilots.

Respected Contributor

@makeup addict wrote:

@winamac1 wrote:

@FrostyBabe1 wrote:

He passed the medical exam in 2015 and is due to take it this summer as required. He hasn't skipped or missed any required exams. They are strict about that exam for pilots.

There seems to be some confusion about when his last pilot's medical exam was. You read 2015. I read one article that said two week's ago, and TMZ says last month (which could make it 2 weeks ago): http://www.tmz.com/2017/02/15/harrison-ford-faa-investigation-delayed/

He might be on some new medication that is causing him some mental confusion. I hope they order an extensive neuro exam. Whatever...we can't believe everything we read online, but obviously something is wrong.

A kind gesture can reach a wound that only compassion can heal. ~~ Steve Maraboli
Esteemed Contributor

Sounds to me that his flying days are over.  Like Noel wrote - many elder people are stubborning into denial about their conditions.  I've experienced it with the late FIL. 

Never Forget the Native American Indian Holocaust