Honored Contributor

Re: Harper Lee has a new book out SPOILER

The revelation is a shocker, but I think it's possible to read the book knowing what has been revealed about the chronology of change in Harper Lee's life (her father) and the development of her writing style, and to see Jean Louise's struggle as Harper Lee's struggle. This book will be for many an analysis of Harper Lee and what made her tick at the time she was writing, and to me that's a bit unique. It won't "ruin" Atticus for me.
Life without Mexican food is no life at all
Esteemed Contributor

Re: Harper Lee has a new book out

[ Edited ]

@biancardi wrote:

hi cherry, I read about  this book too - this is actually the rejected manuscript, I believe and it isn't really new - she wrote this back in the 1950's.  When it was rejected, she wrote TKAM as we know it now

That is my understanding - I could be wrong.  I also have no interest in reading this.

I was going to say the same thing. This is the book that didn't get published until changes were made and it became TKAM. They discussed is this mornning on This Week, and Cokie Roberts was saying that the Atticus Lee is describing in the newly published book is really her own father in many ways.

Respected Contributor

An interesting aside from the PBS show about TKAMB.  Many believe that Harper Lee identified with Boo Radley and NOT Scout.  She saw herself as the silent observer to the unfolding events.

~The only difference between this place and the Titanic is that the Titanic had a band.~
Honored Contributor

That's very interesting, RD!
Life without Mexican food is no life at all
Respected Contributor

@Moonchilde wrote:
That's very interesting, RD!

I thought so too.  Especially since Harper Lee virtually disappeared from the public scene after the success of the book and movie.  People who knew her compared the scene where Boo closed his front door, never to be seen by the townspeople again.

~The only difference between this place and the Titanic is that the Titanic had a band.~
Esteemed Contributor

A lot of people are disturbed by how Atticus is portrayed in the book. That she was asked to rewrite it just tells me that she was telling a story and developing the characters.

How different GWTW would be if an earlier version was found where Scarlet was portrayed as an Abolitionist !

She was product of her time as were the people portrayed in both books.

I'll be interested to see how Scout and the other characters evolved from TSAW to TKAMB.
Respected Contributor

Too bad her dad is not alive to defend his character. I think she did a great disservice to him and to Atticus Finch.

Respected Contributor

@AngusandBuddhasMom wrote:

Too bad her dad is not alive to defend his character. I think she did a great disservice to him and to Atticus Finch.

according to the Wall Street Journal, her father had a change of heart on segregation while she was working on "Mockingbird" and ended up advocating for integration.   so  AF in "Mockingbird" defends his character since it is believed that he was based on her father, a country lawyer.   "Watchman" was written before "Mockingbird."

Honored Contributor

I choose to remember Atticus as he was in TKaM. (and he'll always look like Gregory Peck)