Honored Contributor

Re: Harper Lee has a new book out SPOILER

Now that I've heard some of the buzz, I'll probably read it.
My thinking is that Harper Lee HERSELF had a profound change of heart, and chose to write TKAM to make right the wrongs of her previously written sequel.
I'd prefer to think that she has had total control over the release of "Watchman" but I think the jury is out on this question.
I loved her style in TKAM, and I'll be reading the second book to see where she is in the evolution of her writing (sort of backwards, I know).
Honored Contributor

I'm so sick of hearing about this book, I don't know what to do.  I receive emails from several book stores and think I've received an email about this blasted book every single day.  You'd think it was the only book published this entire year.  Her last book, while powerful, was a place in time.  I'm not sure it received the attention it did because it was any true liteary gem.  I might or might not read the new one when I get around to it.  I'm certainly in no hurry.

In my pantry with my cupcakes...
Honored Contributor

I watched the pbs show last night on hopper lee, there was also one on several weeks ago, she based  the  character, on her father,i remember the movie,but i don't think i ever read the book.

When you lose some one you L~O~V~E, that Memory of them, becomes a TREASURE.
Respected Contributor

It's been on the news..I just heard a report about it this morning.  

If you have a garden and a library, you have everything you need.--Marcus Tullius Cicero
Valued Contributor

Re: Harper Lee has a new book out

@tends2dogs wrote:

Wow, I am really sorry you didn't cover the your spoiler. 

maybe you could edit out your quote since the spoiler tag has since been added to the op. i think it's the only post left in this thread with the spoiler being shown.

"If I am not for myself, who will be for me? But if I am only for myself, who am I? If not now, when?" Hillel
Trusted Contributor

Does anyone know if any of these specials with Harper Lee, or about the book, may be ON DEMAND? I have Comcast.
Trusted Contributor

Re: Harper Lee has a new book out

I don't plan on reading it. I like TKAM just the way it is and don't want another book to ruin it for me. 

Respected Contributor

I know this latest publication is basically a draft of what became TKAM.  It doesn't bother me that there are differences.  I'm interested in reading it and I've read a lot of the spoilers.  It just doesn't bother me.  This book is not going to take away my enjoyment of the original classic To Kill A Mockingbird. 

Respected Contributor

@smokymtngal wrote:

I know this latest publication is basically a draft of what became TKAM.  It doesn't bother me that there are differences.  I'm interested in reading it and I've read a lot of the spoilers.  It just doesn't bother me.  This book is not going to take away my enjoyment of the original classic To Kill A Mockingbird. 

i quite agree. as a transplanted Southerner,  i am interested in the process - how she moved from "Watchman" and arrived at "Mockingbird."   There have been people in my life who have had a change of heart on one issue or another -  if she patterned Atticus on her father who apparently had a change of heart on segregation, i find that very realistic and i can understand better how the character changed.  the South was in a lot of flux in the 1950's, 60's and 70's as it struggled with this issue.  

Valued Contributor

it is just a ****** book. entertainment. read it or don't read it. personally i am looking forward to it. i love to read. there will be critics....... be your own critic, READ THE BOOK!