Trusted Contributor

Re: Harper Lee has a new book out SPOILER

I saw a PBS, American Masters show on Harper Lee last night. Very interesting character. According to the documentary, "To Kill a Mockingbird" took a huge amount of editing before it was published. I am very interested in this new, (old) title.

Honored Contributor

Oh I don't worry about the spoiler thing.  I read lots of things knowing what the outcome will be, so that doesn't bother me.  But I don't really have a big interest in this because there are too many other things to read and too little time for me!

Respected Contributor

One of the PBS stations had a show all about Harper Lee, TKAMB and the new book.  I missed the first 10 minutes or so of the program, but it was quite interesting.  It also covered her friendship with Truman Capote.

As someone else mentioned, it was her first book which was rejected.  Then she went on to write TKAMB.

~The only difference between this place and the Titanic is that the Titanic had a band.~
Honored Contributor

cherry, all you have to do now is edit the 1st post and put the spoiler inside that spoiler box and everyone will be happy (I hope).

☼The best place to seek God is in a garden. You can dig for him there. GBShaw☼
Honored Contributor

@JustJazzmom wrote:

cherry, all you have to do now is edit the 1st post and put the spoiler inside that spoiler box and everyone will be happy (I hope).

Thanks I fixed mine. However, someone quoted me, and there is no earthly way I can fix theirs. Sorry everyone

Honored Contributor

cherry, the more I thought about it, the more I look forward to reading it and her thinking before TKAM.   📖

Go VOLS
Rocky Top you'll always be home sweet home to me.. Good ole Rocky Top, Rocky Top Tennessee... Rocky Top Tennessee
Respected Contributor

I read the first chapter on HuffPo yesterday and was pleasantly surprised.

It's not "To Kill a Mockingburd" but it has a ring of that great style.

Artists often do turn characters in different directions:  _Emma_ is one of Jane Austen's liveliest heroines and a very similar chararcter, Mary Crawford, is one of the villains in _Mansfield Park._  And both characters are different ways of Jane Austen looking at her own character.

Respected Contributor

Re: Harper Lee has a new book out

From the time I first heard of this book being released, I had no interest in reading it.

Someone's making money off this (and it's not Harper Lee).

Contributor

Re: Harper Lee has a new book out

In anticipation of "To Set A Watchman" being released on Tuesday, I reread "To Kill A Mockingbird" last week. I love Harper Lee's writing style, and I am looking forward to reading her "new old" book on Tuesday.
Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

i had bad feelings about this new "book" - but mainly was worried that after the death of her sister people were taking advantage of Harper Lee.  that remains to be seen.  i do see that it would be most interesting for HL to speak on the evolution of AF in "Watchman" to the Atticus Finch in "Mockingbird."   If she is as with it as her agent and publisher attest, this might help some people understand the evolution of the character.  i am reading of surprising reactions to this early manuscript -  as if "Mockingbird" didn't exist as the culmination. books evolve through the editorial process. i just read in the WSJ that Lee's father who is assumed to be the model for AF was a segregationist who changed his mind late in the 1950's.  there was a lot of change going on in Southern attitudes in the late 50's and 60's.    will be interesting to see how the publisher handles this.