Esteemed Contributor

Re: Harold Reid of the Statler Brothers died Friday

@gramgrandkids1 wrote:
I live 10 miles from where the group grew up. Every July 4 they would come home and do a free concert in the park. Thousands of people from all over the country would attend. The little town of Staunton, VA was booming. The concert generated a lot of revenue for the area. The group never forget where they came from and did not let fame go to their heads. They did a lot for their community. I am not a big country music fan, but I did like some of their songs and was proud of local group making it big but staying grounded.

May he RIP.  They were our favorites.  Years ago we had decided to take two weeks off work and go to what we thought was their 25th & final July 4th concert. We didn't know that we needed lawn chairs, so we ended up at Wal-Mart and bought two blue chairs.  Went to the ball field late that night to set them up and there were thousands of the same chairs there.  Then we found out that it was their 24th concert, so we went back the next year prepared. Such fun, but horribly hot.  We toured their grade school and saw one of Harold's former teachers and even a report card.  We live in S. WI & it was so much fun.  I can't remember what city we were in, but they had a fabulous fabric store.  I still think about that store 

Super Contributor

@twinny70 I had to laugh thinking of all those lawn chairs set up. People would set them up early and I never heard of anyone trying to take someone else's chair. My daughter one year was in the parade at the park and it must have been one of the hotest days of the Summer. I always enjoyed the fireworks after the concert. Staunton has so many hills we would go to friend's house (they lived on a hill) and watched fireworks. Could the fabric store you visited been in Dayton, VA? This post brings back nice memories.
Esteemed Contributor

@gramgrandkids1 wrote:
@twinny70I had to laugh thinking of all those lawn chairs set up. People would set them up early and I never heard of anyone trying to take someone else's chair. My daughter one year was in the parade at the park and it must have been one of the hotest days of the Summer. I always enjoyed the fireworks after the concert. Staunton has so many hills we would go to friend's house (they lived on a hill) and watched fireworks. Could the fabric store you visited been in Dayton, VA? This post brings back nice memories.

I think that the fabric store was actually a warehouse and I think it was in Beckley. W VA.  My DH thinks that this was between 1992-1994.