Respected Contributor

Harley Davidson to have an electric motorcycle

[ Edited ]

in about 5 years.  It will be silent.  Somehow I think motorcycle enthusiasts will miss the vroom sound.  Also, long trips on the open road will be difficult if not impossible.  Right now I know when a motorcycle is trying to pass my car because of the noise and it will be an adjustment to no longer hear anything. 

https://transportevolved.com/2016/06/20/harley-davidson-well-bring-an-all-electric-motorcycle-to-mar...

Respected Contributor

Re: Harley Davidson to have an electric motorcycle

I smell failure. Most bikers like the sound and it really has a practical value. People may not see a biker, but they can hear them. Silent bikes might be a bit more dangerous. Just my 2¢.

Respected Contributor

A silent Harley?  0_o

_____ ,,,^ ._. ^,,,_____
Respected Contributor

the same for an electric car. I've turned mine off to realize it already was off. I also left it running one time when I went to movies. 

Respected Contributor

Seriously?  I can not wait to tell my husband this one!!

Ridiculous!!

-Texas Hill Country-
Respected Contributor

I know my husband would never go for this. A true HD enthusiast never would.

Respected Contributor

Oh my!  What would 'Rolling Thunder' be like if that happened???   Here on the east coast, the roar of the cycles on the 'Rolling Thunder' rides are nothing less than awesome!  

Cinderella is proof that a new pair of shoes can change your life!
Honored Contributor

I do hope that the guys across the street from me (in my small townhouse community) would get an electric one.  He's a nice guy and I'm good friends with his grandmother (with whom he lives, along with his girlfriend and their baby).  A few months back, he bought (I guess) a really nice looking Chevy.  A few weeks later, saw damage to the right front fender/headlight.  Most recently, he's changed to a bike.  I finally had to leave him a note asking him to please quiet it down when he comes and goes, since he often goes out late and night and returns around 3-4AM.  Always leaves and arrives with a series of "v-rooms".  He agreed that it was inconsiderate and would do better.  (His grandmother thanked me for writing the note).  

So he now has a different brand of bike (a used BMW, I think), and last night around 9:30-10P the "v-room" began.  Not sure if he was trying to clear the exhaust or what, but I could swear I could smell fumes in my house, even though the windows were closed.  If that continues, another not will be in order.  

I have nothing against bikes.  Just don't much care for inconsiderate bikers.

Honored Contributor

I love the sound of a Harley, always have.

Silent?

That's just wrong.

lol

Respected Contributor

@QueenDanceALot wrote:

I love the sound of a Harley, always have.

Silent?

That's just wrong.

lol

I agree. If they wanted quiet, they'd buy a scooter LOL