Honored Contributor

Hardship for the disabled. Thoughtless and stupid.

My husband has been disabled for years. He had applied for and received hangers for his car allowing him to park in disabled parking. He had to see two doctors and send in letters from them to have this. He was deemed permanently disabled. Without any prior notice about a new requirement, my husband's auto tag renewal came in the mail. It also included a document that my disabled husband has to try and complete, which requires a doctor fill out a new form to renew his disability parking. This is in the middle of a pandemic. There will be more exposures for high risk persons. Many doctors weren't even seeing most patients in person until very recently. Disabled people that have already been deemed disabled are now having to run to doctors and take care of this document. I'm lucky I noticed this form in the tag renewal envelope. My poor husband is trying to get hold of his surgeon's office to arrange to do this. His next appointment wasn't scheduled until the end of August and he has been into the office a couple of weeks ago. I'm sure the surgeon isn't thrilled with this new PIA either. 

Honored Contributor

Re: Hardship for the disabled. Thoughtless and stupid.

@Mindy D    I don't understand what you're talking about.  I understand you to mean he needs doctor's certification for both a handicap placard and license plates?  Why would he need both?

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Honored Contributor

@Mindy D  See if he can fax the form to the Doctor to fill out. Or send it through email. It makes no sense he has to go to the office.

Trusted Contributor

The great thing about DMV is they send renewals out far in advance, something like two to thre months. 

You can always email the doctor the information or drop it in the mail.  No need to wait until the end of August. 

Honored Contributor

I would think that considering the circumstances all of this can be done either through the mail or email now.  There is no reason for him to see his doctor in person.

My DH also has a disability and you just reminded me that he'll need to renew his handicap placard before Sept.

Honored Contributor

@Mindy D Your husband's doc can handle this via US mail. No need for an appointment.

Esteemed Contributor

@Kachina624 wrote:

@Mindy D    I don't understand what you're talking about.  I understand you to mean he needs doctor's certification for both a handicap placard and license plates?  Why would he need both?

@Kachina624 Not sure if it's the same in all states but my friend in MI is permently disable so was able to get a perment sticker for her plate but also needs a plackerd so if someone drives her to the Doctors it can be used. She got a noticication she needs to go to MV and have new form fron Doc. Think I got this all right but sounds crazy to me

Respected Contributor

Check with your MD's office.  Chances are good that no appointment is necessary.  They can complete the forms without physically seeing your husband.

-- pro-aging --

Rochester, New York
Honored Contributor

@Love my grandkids wrote:

@Mindy D Your husband's doc can handle this via US mail. No need for an appointment.

@Love my grandkids @Having to renew like this is new here. He's never had to redo the whole thing. This came without warning, leaving us only two weeks to get this done. We don't have a fax and the time to mail is too near. It's just such an unexpected pain right now. The state could have given six month windows to extend due to virus and due to this being anew way of doing things. 

Trusted Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Mindy D  .....   Why can't your family doctor furnish the information? Every one I know that has had this had their family doctor furnish the information to MV.

What state do you live in?