Valued Contributor

Re: Happy ending to a sad situation.....

I'm happy for the dogs that were brought here but the use of dogs as food is a societal issue that should be addressed internally. Animals that we consume are just as offensive to other societies as consumption of dogs is to us. If we are going to impose our standards on them they have an equal right to impose their standards on us. Also, don't forget that in nearly every state animals are considered property, of no more value than a trinket stuck in the back of a closet. Do we really need to be "rescuing" dogs from another country when the numbers for dogs and cats in the U.S. that are euthanized are sickening.

From the ASPCA:

• Approximately 7.6 million companion animals enter animal shelters nationwide every year. Of those, approximately 3.9 million are dogs and 3.4 million are cats.

• Each year, approximately 2.7 million animals are euthanized (1.2 million dogs and 1.4 million cats).

• Approximately 2.7 million shelter animals are adopted each year (1.4 million dogs and 1.3 million cats).

• About 649,000 animals who enter shelters as strays are returned to their owners. Of those, 542,000 are dogs and only 100,000 are cats.

• Of the dogs entering shelters, approximately 35% are adopted, 31% are euthanized and 26% of dogs who came in as strays are returned to their owner.

• Of the cats entering shelters, approximately 37% are adopted, 41% are euthanized, and less than 5% of cats who came in as strays are returned to their owners.

• About twice as many animals enter shelters as strays compared to the number that are relinquished by their owners.

Super Contributor

On 1/6/2015 Marp2 said:

I'm happy for the dogs that were brought here but the use of dogs as food is a societal issue that should be addressed internally. Animals that we consume are just as offensive to other societies as consumption of dogs is to us. If we are going to impose our standards on them they have an equal right to impose their standards on us. Also, don't forget that in nearly every state animals are considered property, of no more value than a trinket stuck in the back of a closet. Do we really need to be "rescuing" dogs from another country when the numbers for dogs and cats in the U.S. that are euthanized are sickening.

From the ASPCA:

• Approximately 7.6 million companion animals enter animal shelters nationwide every year. Of those, approximately 3.9 million are dogs and 3.4 million are cats.

• Each year, approximately 2.7 million animals are euthanized (1.2 million dogs and 1.4 million cats).

• Approximately 2.7 million shelter animals are adopted each year (1.4 million dogs and 1.3 million cats).

• About 649,000 animals who enter shelters as strays are returned to their owners. Of those, 542,000 are dogs and only 100,000 are cats.

• Of the dogs entering shelters, approximately 35% are adopted, 31% are euthanized and 26% of dogs who came in as strays are returned to their owner.

• Of the cats entering shelters, approximately 37% are adopted, 41% are euthanized, and less than 5% of cats who came in as strays are returned to their owners.

• About twice as many animals enter shelters as strays compared to the number that are relinquished by their owners.

A life saved is a life saved... you can not put importance of the saving of one dog or animal over another. Euthanizing pets is sad... but, at least it is somewhat more humane( by that I mean less cruel if that is possible.....{#emotions_dlg.sad})

I saw underground videos of how these dogs in Korea are raised and sold in markets and how they are killed... it is NOT HUMANE. They are beaten and tied to a stake until sold... the footage I saw is burned into my memory it was SO AWFUL. The dogs stood there and wagged their tails... many of them are stolen pets....

Valued Contributor

While I agree that a life saved is a life saved I do take issue with the implication that the inhumane treatment of these animals is localized. To see the same, or worse, inhumane treatment look in your own backyard. Inhumane treatment of both food and companion animals is rampant in this country and IMO is especially egregious when the animal is supposed to be a "pet".

If I could wave a magic wand and end all forms of animal cruelty I would but inhumane treatment of animals is a people problem and is pretty much unsolvable. We can only do our best to change laws, demand significant punishment for offenders and educate, educate, educate.