Super Contributor

Happy ending to a sad situation.....

<h1>Dogs bred for meat in S.Korea start new life in US</h1>
Agence France-Presse (AFP)
3 hrs ago

A dog called Snowball rescued from a dog meat farm in South Korea settles into the Animal Welfare League of Alexandria shelter January 5, 2015. © Robert MacPherson/AFP/Getty Images A dog called Snowball rescued from a dog meat farm in South Korea settles into the Animal Welfare League of Alexandria shelter January 5, 2015.

A dozen dogs originally destined for dinner tables in South Korea arrived in the Washington area to be adopted as pets.

They were the first of a total of 23 dogs being imported into the United States this week as part of a campaign to combat the eating of dog meat in East Asia.

Washington-based Humane Society International (HSI) located the dogs at a farm in Ilsan, northwest of Seoul, where they were being bred specifically for human consumption.

The farmer -- who acknowledged a personal fondness for dogs -- agreed to give up the animals and accept an offer of compensation and grow blueberries instead, HSI director of companion animals Kelly O'Meara told AFP, as the mongrels settled into kennels Monday at the Animal Welfare League of Alexandria, Virginia after a long flight from Seoul.

HSI has been working with local groups in China, the Philippines, Thailand and Vietnam to raise public awareness of the dog meat trade.

"But South Korea is unusual because it actually farms dogs to supply demand," O'Meara said, while other countries target feral dogs as food.

Every year, between 1.2 million and two million dogs are consumed in South Korea, she said, supplied by farms that number "at least in the hundreds."

A dog rescued from a dog meat farm in South Korea arrives at the Animal Welfare League of Alexandria shelter on January 5, 2015 © Provided by AFP A dog rescued from a dog meat farm in South Korea arrives at the Animal Welfare League of Alexandria shelter on January 5, 2015

O'Meara said it was the first time that dogs from South Korea intended for human consumption had been rescued and brought into the United States, where a brisk demand for adopted dogs and cats is met by a thriving network of animal rescue groups and shelters.

All 23 South Korean dogs -- the second batch is due to arrive Tuesday -- will undergo veterinarian checks in Alexandria, before being distributed among five other shelters in the Mid-Atlantic states for adoption.

"By helping these 23 dogs, we'll be helping a lot of other dogs in South Korea" by raising public awareness of the dog meat trade, said Megan Webb, executive director of the Animal Welfare League of Alexandria, which finds homes for about 1,000 dogs a year.

Super Contributor

Re: Happy ending to a sad situation.....

The idea of eating dogs just sickens me......

Respected Contributor

Well, that is just fine, but what about the dogs that did not get rescued? They will be next Wednesday's dinner.

I have mixed feelings about this. I love dogs, and of course don't eat them. But I do eat cows and pigs. Is there a difference?

-- pro-aging --

Rochester, New York
Respected Contributor

The only way to stop this is to make it a crime like Thailand which is considering a dog meat ban.

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/11/02/world/asia/dog-meat-trade-in-thailand-is-under-pressure-and-may-be...

_____ ,,,^ ._. ^,,,_____
Super Contributor

On 1/6/2015 Peaches McPhee said:

Well, that is just fine, but what about the dogs that did not get rescued? They will be next Wednesday's dinner.

I have mixed feelings about this. I love dogs, and of course don't eat them. But I do eat cows and pigs. Is there a difference?

I know it is a society type of issue... In India Cows are looked at as sacred.... For me it is just hard to fathom eating a dog with a wagging tail and love in their eyes.

Highlighted
Honored Contributor

I agree - don't we already have way too many homeless animals in this country - now we are importing them from S Korea. And how would we like it if they started to take away our pigs and cows, which farmers raise for a living - to be slaughtered and eaten.

Respected Contributor

On 1/6/2015 happy housewife said:

I agree - don't we already have way too many homeless animals in this country - now we are importing them from S Korea. And how would we like it if they started to take away our pigs and cows, which farmers raise for a living - to be slaughtered and eaten.

They didn't just take them away. Read the article.

_____ ,,,^ ._. ^,,,_____
Respected Contributor

It is sad that there will be those that can't be saved but any help given to save some is a step in the right direction.
Respected Contributor

There are millions here needing homes, perhaps cleaning our own house before calling out others would be prudent.
Esteemed Contributor

With all due respect, I wish people would put a "Reader Beware" notation in the titles of stories like this. I know about the situation, but I didn't think I would be reminded of it at 9:00 a.m. with my coffee. I'm worried about my cat and my neighbor's dog and my BIL ... I didn't need to add these images to my already overloaded mind.

Sorry, I just thought it would be some simple little story ... it doesn't really have a happy ending when you consider all the rest of the dogs. {#emotions_dlg.crying}