Trusted Contributor

Happy World Oceans Day June 8

I was emailed by Kohls that today is World Oceans Day.  

Trusted Contributor

Re: Happy World Oceans Day June 8

I forgot my pictureworld ocean day.jpg

Esteemed Contributor

Hope the companies that dump garbage in the oceans  or leave garbage barges floating in the ocean  come up with another plan  for disposable.  Also all those beach goers that leave their garbage on the beach  take a day to pick up their garbage and throw it in a trach can.

Super Contributor

a journey of a thousand miles begins with a single step

recycle.jpg

Esteemed Contributor

A litte bit of factual data about the earth's oceans!  OP, thank you for reminding us about World Ocean Day....

While there is only one global ocean, the vast body of water that covers 71 percent of the Earth is geographically divided into distinct named regions. The boundaries between these regions have evolved over time for a variety of historical, cultural, geographical, and scientific reasons.

Historically, there are four named oceans: the Atlantic, Pacific, Indian, and Arctic. However, most countries - including the United States - now recognize the Southern (Antarctic) as the fifth ocean. The Pacific, Atlantic, and Indian are the most commonly known.

The Southern Ocean is the 'newest' named ocean. It is recognized by the U.S. Board on Geographic Names as the body of water extending from the coast of Antarctica to the line of latitude at 60 degrees South. The boundaries of this ocean were proposed to the International Hydrographic Organization in 2000. However, not all countries agree on the proposed boundaries, so this has yet to be ratified by members of the IHO. The U.S. is a member of the IHO, represented by the NOS Office of Coast Survey.

https://oceanservice.noaa.gov/facts/howmanyoceans.html

A Negative Mind ~ Will give you a Negative Life
Honored Contributor

Such a poignant topic.

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland