Honored Contributor

Re: Happy Women Veterans Day

It has its own day because women have had problems being accepted in the military club. And that still is a problem today.

It's the same reason we have some days that honor groups of people not always included in the same way as the majority.

And yes, I know that many here don't agree with those days either.

Happy Women Veterans Day!

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Esteemed Contributor

@Marp wrote:

A very heartfelt thank you to our women veterans on this Women Veterans Day.

While not recognized nationally it should be.  Hopefully your state is among those that have codified today but if not I urge you to write, email or call to get the ball rolling in your state.

Thanks @Marp .  I learned something today.  I didn't know this day of acknowledgement even existed.  Someone thought it appropriate to set aside this day and I know it wasn't you.  With that being said, as the messenger ~ I am pleased to give thanks to all the women who served and will try to remember this day and any day we set aside to reflect on the service of our military.

A Negative Mind ~ Will give you a Negative Life
Respected Contributor

Considering what women have gone through to enter the military, much less stay in and make it a career, I have no problem celebrating them on this day. 

My mom was in the Army Nurse Corps and received an honorable discharge because of a disability. Her disability? She was pregnant with my brother. Married to a fellow officer. She had wanted to make this her career and wasn't allowed to.

Women face obstacles from basic training on. Assaults are up, prosecutions are down. Women have been murdered while serving. Not by a foreign adversary, but by one of their own...only male. 

Look how long it took for women to be admitted to the Military Academies. To become pilots. To fly in combat zones. 

Yet they overcame those obstacles and more. Yes, they deserve a special day too. I've rarely seen a woman in uniform on posters for Veteran's Day. Mostly men. 

Esteemed Contributor

@Sooner that is so fantastic that your mom served!

My aunt enlisted as a WAVE in 1942 at the age of 20.  It's said she was uh...the firecracker of the family. Smiley Tongue

WAVES were classified as reservists altho they served full time on active duty. Women filled tasks stateside so men could go off to battle. She met and married my uncle who also served.

They are buried next to each other at Arlington. 

Honored Contributor

@Snowpuppy What a sweet story!  My mom met a lot of guys but came home, worked a while then met my dad!  She worked in the Navy Dept. before joining the Army because her brother was in the Navy.  It made her feel closer to him. 

She was very proud of being a WAC, also of being a civilian worker in the Navy Dept. in D.C. and working at an airplane plant--but wasn't Rosie the Riveter however.