Highlighted
Valued Contributor

Happy Birthday to the one and only Doris Day!

What a wonderful entertainer. She could act in dramatic and comedic parts equally well. (She should have won an Oscar for "Love Me or Leave Me" with Cagney). I loved her movies with Gordon MacRae (their voices blended beautifully). I also enjoyed her movies with Rock Hudson and James Garner. I don't think I could pick one favorite movie of hers - I liked so many. (My dad used to say her eyes sparkled when she sang - I agree. Her beauty was from the inside out). Could you pick one favorite Doris Day movie?
Honored Contributor

Re: Happy Birthday to the one and only Doris Day!

I also think she is an underrated singer.  For sure, a multi-talented woman.

Respected Contributor

She and Rock Hudson were the best!  Always loved those movies - loved her in comedies more than serious roles - I think it suited her better. 

Honored Contributor

I also have lots of favorites:

When she played Jimmy Stewart's wife in the thriller "The Man Who Knew Too Much".

She memorably sang "Que Sera, Sera" in the movie, and it is a pivotal plot point too.

She was terrific in "Love Me or Leave Me, the Ruth Etting bio-pic with Jimmy Cagney.

Of course, i loved her in "Midnight Lace" for the clothes, jewels, suspense and hysteria!

She was adorable in "The Glass Bottomed Boat" and sang "The Deep Blue Sea".

Let's see, I also liked her in "Julie" a minor but fun thriller with Louis Jourdan.

Doris has that sunny, Midwestern genuineness (which reminds me of my Illinois-born husband, ha) and has a fresh, natural quality that is unique.

Valued Contributor

Oznell, you described her perfectly - sunny, genuine, fresh, natural. I think these qualities came across the screen and that's why audiences loved her. It's no wonder she was the # 1 female box office star for a few years.
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

"Please please...don't eat the Daisies"...  I can't remember the name of the movie.  I think David Niven played the husband.  I also think she was an under rated singer.  She had a beautiful voice and could really put a song across.

Honored Contributor

Jubilant, you have it!  The movie was also called "Please Don't Eat the Daisies".  How could I forget that?   It was based on a book by Jean Kerr, who in real life was married to Walter Kerr, the New York critic, and just like Doris in the film, had a passel of kids.  She wrote hilariously about her rambunctious household.

Doris was so good as the mother in that film.  Loved the give and take with hubby David Niven and the way she was so funny about her kids-- she was clear-eyed about the little scamps, but doted on them anyway!

Honored Contributor

@Oznell wrote:

Jubilant, you have it!  The movie was also called "Please Don't Eat the Daisies".  How could I forget that?   It was based on a book by Jean Kerr, who in real life was married to Walter Kerr, the New York critic, and just like Doris in the film, had a passel of kids.  She wrote hilariously about her rambunctious household.

Doris was so good as the mother in that film.  Loved the give and take with hubby David Niven and the way she was so funny about her kids-- she was clear-eyed about the little scamps, but doted on them anyway!

*********** Hey, I got it right!  I didn't know it was based on a book.  David Niven was also a favorite of mine.  I thought they made a believeable team.  If I remember right, they had quite a large dog, too.  Did she actually use a playpen....or am I dreaming? I seem to remember a playpen.

Contributor

@cimeranrose, asking us to pick just one movie is like asking us to eat just one potatoe chip. It is for me anyway, I grew up watching her movies. Totally agree w/ what you said, she should have won an oscar for "Love Me or Leave Me". A few more of my faves are Move Over Darling, That Touch of Mink, Calamity Jane, and Teacher's Pet. Your father is right about her eyes when she sings. Happy B-day Doris.