Honored Contributor

Happy Birthday! squee beyond belief :-)

Heart

The baby koala will stay close to mom for the next year, at which point it will be big enough to climb trees solo

People.com     June 19, 2019

A koala joey a  Zoo Tampa at Loowry Park decided to pop out and say hello to its neighbors.

According to the Florida zoo, the marsupial baby emerged from its mother’s pouch for the first time this week, offering keepers and guests their first peek at the first koala joey to be born at the zoo.

Ceduna and Heathcliff are the parents of this unnamed koala cutie, and they are both handling their new childcare duties well.

“We do routine check-ups with Ceduna to build strong bonds with her and ensure the highest quality of care,” Lauren Smith, D.V.M., veterinarian at ZooTampa said in a statement. “The animal care team continues to monitor Ceduna and her baby closely as the joey’s exciting development continues.”

The joey started off as an embryo the size of a jellybean, later making the move to Ceduna’s pouch — where the baby will finish its final stages of development. Even after the joey gets bigger, it will still say close to mom, hanging on her back or belly until it is strong enough to climb trees solo. Most koalas start venturing out on their own after a year.

ZooTampa is happy to meet their new resident face-to-face for the first time, especially since koala births are needed now more than ever. The marsupial, native to Australia, is listed as vulnerable by the ICUN Red List.

“We are proud to support conservation initiatives both at home and beyond,” Dr. Larry Killmar, senior vice president and chief zoological officer at ZooTampa, said. “Our partnership with the Australian government allows us to support the goals and objectives of the Koala Species Survival Plan.”

Ceduna, who arrived at the zoo in 2015, and Heathcliff, who came to ZooTampa in 2014, are the first koalas at the Florida zoo to successfully mate. They will be staying close to one another as their joey continues to grow.

~

Esteemed Contributor

Re: Happy Birthday! squee beyond belief :-)

@feline groovy  Thanks for posting those adorable pictures.  I am so glad that Zoo Tampa is working here at home and with the Australian government in conservation efforts.

The next time that I hear salt and ice together, it better be in a margarita!
Honored Contributor

Sooooooooooooooo CUTE!   I love the picture of the mama and baby sleeping together.  Thanks for sharing.

kindness is strength
Honored Contributor

So adorable!  Look at those long claws!

The Bluebird Carries The Sky On His Back"
-Henry David Thoreau

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

Thank you for posting those pictures.  I would not have seen something so beautiful, and the sight of the baby emerging from the pouch.  Nature, animals, and the wonders of it all is something that is so natural and awesome.  It is fascinating.  Such very pictures to have shared.

Respected Contributor

I can't - I just CANNOT TAKE it - oh my God, I've just developed cavitites from this sweetness!

I wanna reach through the pic and wet bebe' and mommy's fur with kisses (on their foreheads of course!)

I honestly cannot take this!!!!

When my grandmother visited Australia back in the late 60s she actually ASKED if she could BUY me a baby Koala....she fell in love with them. (and she was a lil nuts for her grandchild too I guess).

The stuffed koala bear she brought back (a much more reasonable and sane idea) was my favorite toy...well that, and Raggedy Ann.

Thanks a mil for sharing this beautiful pic of momma and bebe'.

Trusted Contributor

@feline groovy 

Love a happy story!  What a cutie.  I hope the baby thrives & lives a healthy & long life with its' parents.    Heart