Honored Contributor

Giraffe_Bailey and 2020 calf_Keri D_9.28.20

ZooBorns.com   September 29, 2020

Bailey, an 8-year-old reticulated giraffe at Cheyenne Mountain Zoo, welcomed her very first calf to the herd at 11:37 a.m. yesterday, September 28. Bailey and the female giraffe calf are doing well. Following Cheyenne Mountain Zoo tradition, the calf will be named after she is 30 days old.

“You couldn’t ask anything more of a first-time mom,” said Jason Bredahl, giraffe animal care manager at CMZoo. “Bailey is nonstop grooming her baby, paying attention and making sure the baby is in a good position to nurse. Mom is doing a great job.”

The little calf is doing well, too. She’s already winning the hearts of CMZoo staff and online fans.

“This is probably the smallest giraffe calf I’ve ever seen,” said Bredahl. “Bailey is small for a giraffe, too, so that’s not surprising. She’s super adorable. She’s strong and is nursing well, so we’re really excited to share her with everyone as soon as we can.”

The calf is the seventeenth member of Cheyenne Mountain Zoo’s reticulated giraffe herd. The calf is the first offspring for mom, Bailey, and the sixth to be sired by dad, Khalid (pronounced cull-EED). Bailey moved to Cheyenne Mountain Zoo on a breeding recommendation in Sept. 2016. CMZoo’s breeding program began in 1954 and has welcomed more than 200 calves since its inception.

Valued Contributor

@feline groovy wrote:

Giraffe_Bailey and 2020 calf_Keri D_9.28.20

ZooBorns.com   September 29, 2020

Bailey, an 8-year-old reticulated giraffe at Cheyenne Mountain Zoo, welcomed her very first calf to the herd at 11:37 a.m. yesterday, September 28. Bailey and the female giraffe calf are doing well. Following Cheyenne Mountain Zoo tradition, the calf will be named after she is 30 days old.

“You couldn’t ask anything more of a first-time mom,” said Jason Bredahl, giraffe animal care manager at CMZoo. “Bailey is nonstop grooming her baby, paying attention and making sure the baby is in a good position to nurse. Mom is doing a great job.”

The little calf is doing well, too. She’s already winning the hearts of CMZoo staff and online fans.

“This is probably the smallest giraffe calf I’ve ever seen,” said Bredahl. “Bailey is small for a giraffe, too, so that’s not surprising. She’s super adorable. She’s strong and is nursing well, so we’re really excited to share her with everyone as soon as we can.”

The calf is the seventeenth member of Cheyenne Mountain Zoo’s reticulated giraffe herd. The calf is the first offspring for mom, Bailey, and the sixth to be sired by dad, Khalid (pronounced cull-EED). Bailey moved to Cheyenne Mountain Zoo on a breeding recommendation in Sept. 2016. CMZoo’s breeding program began in 1954 and has welcomed more than 200 calves since its inception.

How precious..!! Bless Bailey, she's such a good mother..! Can't wait to hear what they name the baby! Years ago I got to see a new baby giraffe at the San Diego zoo..will never forget it! The baby was hiding under her mother...! Heart

Honored Contributor

Oh! How much do I love baby giraffes. So much. Thank you for posting this.

When you’re accustomed to privilege, equality feels like oppression.
"Power without love is reckless and abusive, and love without power is sentimental and anemic." - Dr. Martin Luther King Jr
Honored Contributor

the curls on her head especially get me   8)

Trusted Contributor

@feline groovy    Such a beautiful baby giraffe!  I watched the birth live on my phone. It was so amazing to see this sweet giraffe come into the world!  Congratualtions Cheyenne Mountain Zoo and Bailey!  We were at this zoo last October and it is such a wonderful zoo.  All the animals are beautiful and the mountain views are spectacular!  Can't wait to go back again!  

Esteemed Contributor

Such a cutesy.  Mom must be proud.

Honored Contributor

Re: Happy Birthday, baby

[ Edited ]

How sweet! That's my zoo! I use to work there as a nursery attendant for four summers. I've seen some cuties in my life there. Their logo is a giraffe. They have had the most giraffes of all the zoos in the US. 

Honored Contributor

So cute😍😍😍

"This isn't a Wednesday night, this is New Year's Eve"