Honored Contributor

Happy Birthday Judy Collins - 81 Yrs Old

Happy birthday to Judy blue-eyes, still a beauty at age 81 and still looking at love from both sides now, from win and lose and still somehow....
Honored Contributor

Re: Happy Birthday Judy Collins - 81 Yrs Old

I love her so much! One of my favorite folk singers. I had her album Send in the Clouds I think it was called and also her  songs in a music book for guitar.  I think she has the most beautiful voice.

"If you walk the footsteps of a stranger, you'll learn things you never knew. Can you sing with all the voices of the mountains? can you paint with all the colors of the wind?"
Honored Contributor

@on the bay Send in the Clowns. (Clouds are in the Both Sides Now lyrics). I'm glad you are a fan too.
Honored Contributor

@Pearlee -

That's right! That one is a sad one.

"If you walk the footsteps of a stranger, you'll learn things you never knew. Can you sing with all the voices of the mountains? can you paint with all the colors of the wind?"
Honored Contributor

Omg, you gotta be kidding.  Wow.  I had all her records in the 70's, and saw her with Joan Baez in Palo Alto once years ago at Stanford.  I am 72.  Somehow I just felt she was more my age.   Good for Judy

Highlighted
Honored Contributor

EADDBEEA-CCA1-4EE1-B7FC-93502C19BA4F.jpeg

Respected Contributor

Who knows where the time goes?

Honored Contributor

It almost pains me to listen to her songs. The poignancy is so exquisite and so evocative. I'm the same with many of the songs of that era.

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Respected Contributor

I saw this thread and spent some time listening to her on YouTube. I've always loved her beautiful voice. In addition to her instrumental and vocal talents she has a fascinating past. 

Honored Contributor

@Silver Lining. That she does, including how she got to be called Judy Blue-Eyes. 🙂 I'm happy this thread inspired you to listen to her.

A story: When I was in college I had a much loved and revered (by everyone!) professor who was famous in his field. One day he came to class and asked whether someone could babysit that evening for his toddler daughter. I volunteered to just to get to go to his house and check out his wife and child too. He was the most brilliant man I'd ever met and I was in awe of him.
His wife offered me use of their record player while I was babysitting. I didn't use it but did look though their record albums sitting next to it. Among lots of classical music was some folk, including a Judy Collins album I also owned. When I saw that one, my prof immediately became more "human" to me (as opposed to way up on the pedestal almost godlike where he was for almost all his students.)

That toddler daughter turns 50 this year. My professor and I became lifelong friends - I've been a family friend since graduating from college. He passed away two summers ago just shy of 90 years old. I was honored to be the first speaker to give a eulogy at his funeral.

Judy Collins always reminds me of when I first thought my professor, whom I worshipped as a student, was human after all becsuse he listened to Judy Collins.