Esteemed Contributor

Re: Happy Birthday Dr. Martin Luther King Jr.

[ Edited ]

It was one of those moments that  I recall exactly when and where I was at the time of his asassination  ...playing volleyball at the University of Illinois gym.   When it was announced on the loud-speaker ... we were just stunned ... and walked off the court in silence.

I've always loved that man ...

Esteemed Contributor

I remember all the publicity about the March he helped organize in 1963.  When he gave that speech.  JFK was still president.

Drew about 250,000 participants.  And was peaceful.

Honored Contributor

@fitfuninformed wrote:

I couldn't agree with you more. 

Dr. King made history making strides in his quest for equality - "history", just like all history, should not be erased and this notion of 'cancel culture' should be very closely looked at as it cannot or rather should not be selective.

@fitfuninformed, very sly.

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Respected Contributor

A truly great man. A man of peace and God. One of 

America's real heroes.

Esteemed Contributor

A great American! So sad to lose john Lewis, CT Vivian, and Elijah Cummings in the last 15 months.....adding the loss of notorious RBG, we have really lost some great Americans! I hope everyone celebrates MLK Day and appreciates his tremendous contributions to us.

Respected Contributor

Thanks for the post, he was a great man, a civil rights icon. I  have been to the hotel where he was shot and to see the stick in the window was very humbling  Happy Birthday Dr. King !

Respected Contributor

"Free at last, free at last, thank God almighty we are free at last."

MLK

"Justice will not be served until those who are unaffected are as outraged as those who are." BF
Frequent Contributor

@fitfuninformed wrote:

I couldn't agree with you more. 

Dr. King made history making strides in his quest for equality - "history", just like all history, should not be erased and this notion of 'cancel culture' should be very closely looked at as it cannot or rather should not be selective.

"Cancel culture" - what rubbish. If you have an ugly history it should be studied - but NOT aggrandized.

Esteemed Contributor

I remember being a kid while watching his funeral on TV. I could tell the world was a better place for having him in it. The funeral was so sad. MLK, Jr. tried to teach us - What we resist, persists.   

"I took a walk in the woods and came out taller than the trees." Henry David Thoreau
Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

Happy Birthday!!

Rest in peace.