Reply
Honored Contributor
Posts: 8,736
Registered: ‎02-19-2014

Re: Happy Big Ten Cancelled Football


@FlowerBear wrote:

I wonder why there can be baseball and not football? Im not a sports fan and dont care but family members are not happy about football being cancelled.


All the tackling and grabbing? As long as the baseball players don't throw spitballs, it's a little safer to play.

 

LOL I just had a brilliant idea. The NFL and colleges can play flag football this year. Then the risk level would be more along the lines of basketball. Pop all the teams in strict bubbles, no live crowds, but let them play flag football for the cameras. It would be fun.

When you’re accustomed to privilege, equality feels like oppression.
"Power without love is reckless and abusive, and love without power is sentimental and anemic." - Dr. Martin Luther King Jr
Respected Contributor
Posts: 2,654
Registered: ‎05-13-2010

Re: Happy Big Ten Cancelled Football

There will be no fall sports in the Big Ten.

Honored Contributor
Posts: 10,168
Registered: ‎03-14-2010

Re: Happy Big Ten Cancelled Football

Big 12 has plans to play the football season with one non-con and full conference schedule. I love college football. I think it is so important for students and fans and it contributes so much positivity to the athletes. Many coaches of big schools have agreed or volunteered to take big pay cuts this year. The revenue from football funds many of the other sports and makes them possible.
Honored Contributor
Posts: 21,733
Registered: ‎03-09-2010

Re: Happy Big Ten Cancelled Football


@lovesrecess wrote:
Big 12 has plans to play the football season with one non-con and full conference schedule. I love college football. I think it is so important for students and fans and it contributes so much positivity to the athletes. Many coaches of big schools have agreed or volunteered to take big pay cuts this year. The revenue from football funds many of the other sports and makes them possible.

@lovesrecess, I think that it is a very unwise decision.


~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Esteemed Contributor
Posts: 5,819
Registered: ‎04-20-2013

Re: Happy Big Ten Cancelled Football

I saw the Army football coach and he is prepared to play.  He has had his players together since June and not one Covid-19 case.   The players were sitting behind him and every one of them wore a mask.   What is his secret?  I'd say discipline and excellent education & health policies.  It can be done if there is a shared common goal and the pandemic is not politicized and/or a mask used as a political symbol.  The guys just want to play football and will do what it takes to play safely.  

 

Super Contributor
Posts: 451
Registered: ‎12-29-2019

Re: Happy Big Ten Cancelled Football

Play the games.  No fans.  Just watch them on TV.   We watch baseball and NASCAR ,NBA that way.  

Honored Contributor
Posts: 21,733
Registered: ‎03-09-2010

Re: Happy Big Ten Cancelled Football


@Infinite Mom 47 wrote:

Play the games.  No fans.  Just watch them on TV.   We watch baseball and NASCAR ,NBA that way.  


@Infinite Mom 47, the difference is the amount of physical contact. Maybe if they all lived in a bubble, it might work.


~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Honored Contributor
Posts: 13,575
Registered: ‎03-15-2014

Re: Happy Big Ten Cancelled Football

It's a step in the right direction.  Colleges and universities should be focused on education (imagine that!) rather than running minor leagues for the NFL and NBA.

Trusted Contributor
Posts: 1,105
Registered: ‎05-15-2010

Re: Happy Big Ten Cancelled Football

I'm glad they can't play.

 

I don't want to watch prepubecent girls doing somersaults while half starved.  And I don't want to watch teen age boys who get to eat all the pasta they want.

 

I'm mixing up my teen sports.  I'm talking about girls who have to walk a pole gracefully amd boys who have to run and jump.

Esteemed Contributor
Posts: 7,520
Registered: ‎03-15-2010

Re: Happy Big Ten Cancelled Football

[ Edited ]

@suzyQ3 wrote:

@Infinite Mom 47 wrote:

Play the games.  No fans.  Just watch them on TV.   We watch baseball and NASCAR ,NBA that way.  


@Infinite Mom 47, the difference is the amount of physical contact. Maybe if they all lived in a bubble, it might work.

 

 

 

@suzyQ3  @Infinite Mom 47 

 

The SEC and  ACC conferences have still not postponed their schedules ... among the big five.   Notice that these conferences are in the South, and are facing a lot of pressure from fans and politicians alike to go ahead and play, including from the executive branch of government .... what a mess this is.