Respected Contributor

Re: Happy Big Ten Cancelled Football

CNN reports 2 Big 10 covid players have myocarditis.  Bad news.

Honored Contributor

Looks like it's official.

Honored Contributor

@KarenQVC wrote:

If true, that is really bad news.

Honored Contributor

@KarenQVC wrote:

OMG. It's true. They could just drop dead from this during practice. It's not something to mess around with.

"A rare heart condition that could be linked with the coronavirus is fueling concern among Power 5 conference administrators about the viability of college sports this fall.

Myocarditis, inflammation of the heart muscle, has been found in at least five Big Ten Conference athletes and among several other athletes in other conferences, according to two sources with knowledge of athletes' medical care.

The condition is usually caused by a viral infection, including those that cause the common cold, H1N1 influenza or mononucleosis. Left undiagnosed and untreated, it can cause heart damage and sudden cardiac arrest, which can be fatal. It is a rare condition, but the COVID-19 virus has been linked with myocarditis with a higher frequency than other viruses, based on limited studies and anecdotal evidence since the start of the pandemic.

The concern has "made the bar higher" for returning to fall sports, said Dr. Jonathan Drezner, director of the University of Washington Medicine Center for Sports Cardiology and a sports medicine physician who advises the NCAA on cardiac issues, "and it could be we don't get there.""

"People can get myocardial inflammation, feel fine and never know it, Drezner said. He said most athletes who get myocarditis will be able to safely return to sports after a restriction of activity for three to six months. But he said that in some cases, the inflammation can turn to scar tissue and put the patient at risk for an irregular heartbeat that can lead to sudden cardiac arrest, which can be triggered by exercise.

A study published in July in JAMA Cardiology found that out of 100 adult patients in Germany who had recovered from the COVID-19 infection, 60% had findings of ongoing myocardial inflammation. A recent review of myocarditis listed with the National Center for Biotechnology Information cites some estimates that find 1% to 5% of all patients with acute viral infections may involve the myocardium, or the muscular tissue, of the heart.

"Myocarditis itself is certainly not new," Drezner said, adding that prior studies have found that myocarditis represents up to 9% of sudden cardiac deaths among athletes."

No game is worth dying over. This makes me very concerned about all the young healthy children and adults who have already contracted Covid as well. They could be walking around with related myocarditis and not know it.

When you’re accustomed to privilege, equality feels like oppression.
"Power without love is reckless and abusive, and love without power is sentimental and anemic." - Dr. Martin Luther King Jr
Valued Contributor

@suzyQ3 wrote:

I don't get the nitpicking here. I'm quite sure that the OP is happy only in the sense that postponing the start of college football is the safe way to go.

Thank you @suzyQ3 ! I think some posters may be taking the word "happy" to literal! 

I started off reading this thread with interest as to what others truly think of it being cancelled (ie support the idea, disagree with it, etc). I can't believe OP s being attacked for how the question was worded,

I, for one, live in the middle of a big 10 town (can literally see the campus from my home). That being said, of course there will be a sadness every football Saturday. It makes me sad for athletes that put so much work into getting to this point in their life. I certainly feel the economic impact. But most importantly, I'm glad the decision was made (not only for the students and athletes), but for the entire health of my community. Prior to the announcement, I was fearful of cars full of people coming across the state to tailgate (and the devastation that could have left behind). 

Respected Contributor

I saw NE is talking about breaking with the Big Ten and setting up its own fall schedule.

The NE state positivity is 8%.  By comparison, the MI one is 2.5%.  Why are they willing to take the chance with their athletes--heart problems and all?

Honored Contributor

@KarenQVC wrote:

@software Re: your 2nd paragraph, maybe these student-athletes could study.

Didn't think I had to be so obvious to mention that point.

Did you go to college with an NCAA program?

Student athletes don't have to study

wink wink

Honored Contributor

I don't care one way or the other.  I'm not a sports fan.

Frequent Contributor

My daughter is a D1 assistant coach.  She makes as much working at Target (hourly) as she does as a coach.  She had to take a 5% salary reduction, smaller than most since she is almost paid at poverty level for the area she lives (New England).  Football and basketball income pays for all of the other sports programs in the NCAA, especially the women's teams that don't bring in the big bucks.  The schools can't comply with Title IX without this funding.  Cancelling fall sports could mean the end of all of the "other" sports at colleges.  Many of my daughter's collegues at other schools were fired in the spring when the season was cancelled.  My daughter is lucky that her school has kept the coaches on staff and paid them.  Giving additional years of eligibility also makes it difficult for those coming to college in the next few years to get spots on teams.  Many kids will not be able to attend college because of this.  Unfortunatley there isn't a good solution.

Respected Contributor

I wonder why there can be baseball and not football? Im not a sports fan and dont care but family members are not happy about football being cancelled.