Honored Contributor

Re: Happy Big Ten Cancelled Football

Nothing to be happy about with this.

It means that (or they want us to believe that) the virus isn't flattening.

It means that many players who had their last chance at making a place for themselves to be picked up for the pros aren't going to be seen, aren't going to get a chance to make that  last effort. 

It means those freshmen that were lucky enough to get scholarships and play for a team are loosing a whole year and maybe their money for not playing. All players are loosing a year of play, and the jeopardizing their chance to hone their craft and work toward being picked up by the NFL, or just make a name for themselves that would benefit their endeavours after college.

It means the loss of many many jobs by people who do all the support work for the teams, stadiums, and surrounding businesses that make millions from college football fans.

It means those that love college ball will miss a whole year of it. 

It means that college is yet another step from being the experience it should be for those attending, and they have a relatively short window (usually about 4 years) to enjoy and be enriched by those experiences.

So while it may be necessary, while it may be safer, it isn't any d@** thing to be happy about.

Honored Contributor

I don't get the nitpicking here. I'm quite sure that the OP is happy only in the sense that postponing the start of college football is the safe way to go.

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Respected Contributor

@suzyQ3 So true, some people think if they can type the words their argument has value.

I usually ignore these words strung together posts.

Honored Contributor

I love college football ....even if they play it in the spring. It brings in so much revenue the schools depend on, and it is not all to pay the coaches millions of dollars. It funds scholarships and other areas of the schools as well.
Honored Contributor

@GenXmuse wrote:

I'm sure the athletes, athletic departments and unis are more worried about lost revenue, but you can't play football if you're dead. 

Mom of 2 BIG TEN School grads- couldn't have said it better myself.

Super Contributor

[ Edited ]

My son goes back to a large college next week.  I think this virus is way overblown!

In my own area the fear is off the charts.  Schools online-only for the fall.  But just yesterday I saw our county's health departments stats for cases, number of hospitalized, deaths, etc.  I was shocked at how low the numbers were.  Seriously, it was like two or three positive test results per day in a county with hundreds of thousands of people. And our cases keep declining to where there are several days with not one hospitalization or even positive test result.  And if you look back to March the numbers were never alarming.

When you hear of an "outbreak" ask yourself how many of those people get tested because they were exposed but never had any symptoms or ever got sick.  Ask yourself how many tests are faulty (news says many). Then ask yourself out of all the people you know how many do you personally know who died? And how many of those people you know in turn can say they knew someone?  For me out of hundreds I know on social media in 22 states, the answer is not one.

So for colleges there might be an "outbreak" but mostly kids who are just fine.  Yet we are destroying our economy and the livelihoods of millions of people.Does anyone realize that college football funds many other programs in those universities that otherwise wouldn't exist?  Some colleges like U of Alabama get $100 MILLION a year for games played. That funds thousands of scholarships and dozens of other programs that benefit many students well beyond football.  I think we need to keep a better perspective in all of this.

Honored Contributor

@busymom22 wrote:

My son goes back to a large college next week.  I think this virus is way overblown!

In my own area the fear is off the charts.  Schools online-only for the fall.  But just yesterday I saw our county's health departments stats for cases, number of hospitalized, deaths, etc.  I was shocked at how low the numbers were.  Seriously, it was like two or three positive test results per day in a county with hundreds of thousands of people. And our cases keep declining to where there are several days with not one hospitalization or even positive test result.  And if you look back to March the numbers were never alarming.

When you hear of an "outbreak" ask yourself how many of those people get tested because they were exposed but never had any symptoms or ever got sick.  Ask yourself how many tests are faulty (news says many). Then ask yourself out of all the people you know how many do you personally know who died? And how many of those people you know in turn can say they knew someone?  For me out of hundreds I know on social media in 22 states, the answer is not one.

So for colleges there might be an "outbreak" but mostly kids who are just fine.  Yet we are destroying our economy and the livelihoods of millions of people.Does anyone realize that college football funds many other programs in those universities that otherwise wouldn't exist?  Some colleges like U of Alabama get $100 MILLION a year for games played. That funds thousands of scholarships and dozens of other programs that benefit many students well beyond football.  I think we need to keep a better perspective in all of this.

@busymom22  Six of husbands friends died in our small town and also the town vet. Husband was heartbroken. 

Our town has taken this very seriously over the past few months. So seriously that it seems our schools will be opening for in classroom learning. Don't know all the details as it is still being worked out.

Since your area doesn't seem to have been affected, I don't see why you can't open up. Hope things start working out for you.

Honored Contributor

I dont like it, but it has to be done.

BE THE PERSON YOUR DOG THINKS YOU ARE! (unknown)
Honored Contributor

I am a big fan but not a huge fan of this but it is necessary.  Not a fan for this entire decade so far.   All I keep thinking of is Queen Elizabeth's 1992 Christmas speech "Annus Horribilis.

"Live frugally, but love extravagantly."
Highlighted
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Perhaps, then, it's important for those so often stringing words together... about the virus and its impact, to be more careful about the specific words they string together... I'm not weighing in on whether or not I'd personally support yet another cancellation, but I most assuredly am not happy about it...

In my pantry with my cupcakes...