Honored Contributor

Re: Happy 80th Birthday To Gordon Lightfoot

no, no way.               it just goes too fast.

Honored Contributor

Love his music,

https://cdn.quotesgram.com/img/62/44/1313968449-Presentation1.jpg

Trusted Contributor

I love Gordon Lightfoot too. I first fell in love with him when Sundown was a hit, around 1972 or so.  He looked so handsome on the cover of that album.

I've been lucky enough to see him many times in concert.  The last time was 2 years ago, I think, in Princeton, and he looked very old, and his voice sounded very weak.  Still, it was a sold-out performance and everyone there seemed to love him.  He's had some serious health issues in the past, so I guess that's taken a toll.

I love his music. 

Honored Contributor

@blueroses47  I too have seen him several times recently, as well as dozens of times over the past 40+ years (I started seeing him live in concerts in the mid-70s).  I agree with your description of him recently.  His voice is no longer that rich baritone, although it does seem to improve from the start of the concert as the concert gets going and seems to warm up some.   Even without the lovely voice, the music remains great.  It's still so worth it to hear him live, as long as a person doesn't expect him to sound or look the same any more. I still very much enjoyed the more recent performances I saw, and was just grateful he was still alive and performing.

Since  he suffered the aneurysm in his stomach in the early 2000s (2003 I think it was?)  and almost died, I thought I might never hear him live in concert again.  So every time I do, I am grateful to do so.  And although he doesn't talk much, I still love hearing whatever stories he tells about the songs.  I remember in one of the more recent concerts, right before he sang "If Children Had Wings" (a beautiful song), he choked up saying he wrote it when his first wife left him and went back to Sweden (I think that's where) with his two little children, so he wrote it about the kids.  

Super Contributor

Buy from Amazon

Respected Contributor

Carefree Highway, let me slip away.....slip away on you.

Esteemed Contributor

Add me to the list of people who love "If you could read my mind".  It's poetry set to music and the music is both beautiful and haunting.  I'm remembering that my Dad really loved the song too.  Aww, miss my dad.  

Esteemed Contributor

I'll put it like this:  Gordon Lightfoot has ALWAYS been able to get MY attention.............absolutely positively..........!

Image result for Gordon Lightfoot 1970

I will say, though, that to hear he struck his GF is a bit disappointing although I'm used to having my dreams shattered.......*sniff*  Heart

Trusted Contributor

One of my all time favorites.  And let's not forget The Wreck of the Edmund Fitzgerald.  several of my family members sailed on the Great Lakes ore carriers so that song always had a special meaning for me.  Makes me cry when I hear it.

Trusted Contributor

@Pearlee wrote:

@blueroses47  I too have seen him several times recently, as well as dozens of times over the past 40+ years (I started seeing him live in concerts in the mid-70s).  I agree with your description of him recently.  His voice is no longer that rich baritone, although it does seem to improve from the start of the concert as the concert gets going and seems to warm up some.   Even without the lovely voice, the music remains great.  It's still so worth it to hear him live, as long as a person doesn't expect him to sound or look the same any more. I still very much enjoyed the more recent performances I saw, and was just grateful he was still alive and performing.

Since  he suffered the aneurysm in his stomach in the early 2000s (2003 I think it was?)  and almost died, I thought I might never hear him live in concert again.  So every time I do, I am grateful to do so.  And although he doesn't talk much, I still love hearing whatever stories he tells about the songs.  I remember in one of the more recent concerts, right before he sang "If Children Had Wings" (a beautiful song), he choked up saying he wrote it when his first wife left him and went back to Sweden (I think that's where) with his two little children, so he wrote it about the kids.  

@Pearlee

I feel exactly the same, I'm just so happy to still see him in concert.  I think everybody in the audience felt the same too.  We all so enjoyed his music.