Reply
Honored Contributor
Posts: 37,325
Registered: ‎06-11-2011

Happy 80th Birthday To Gordon Lightfoot

Today, Nov.. 17th.  Hard to believe he is 80 yrs. old.  

I love his music and, in his heyday, had a crush on him - I thought he was very attractive. Now he looks like a worse version of Willy Nelson.  He is gaunt and has long greasy hair; I'd never even recognize him as the same man.

 

Nevertheless, I still love his music. He wrote a huge catalog of wonderful songs, including those made famous by other artists. I am in awe of his talent.

 

Happy BIrthday Gordon!  "If you could read my mind love, what a tale my thoughts could tell."

Honored Contributor
Posts: 12,856
Registered: ‎03-16-2010

Re: Happy 80th Birthday To Gordon Lightfoot


@Pearlee wrote:

Today, Nov.. 17th.  Hard to believe he is 80 yrs. old.  

I love his music and, in his heyday, had a crush on him - I thought he was very attractive. Now he looks like a worse version of Willy Nelson.  He is gaunt and has long greasy hair; I'd never even recognize him as the same man.

 

Nevertheless, I still love his music. He wrote a huge catalog of wonderful songs, including those made famous by other artists. I am in awe of his talent.

 

Happy BIrthday Gordon!  "If you could read my mind love, what a tale my thoughts could tell."


@Pearlee

 

That’s the first thing that popped into my mind when I read your thread title!😄

Honored Contributor
Posts: 37,325
Registered: ‎06-11-2011

Re: Happy 80th Birthday To Gordon Lightfoot

Esteemed Contributor
Posts: 7,086
Registered: ‎08-19-2014

Re: Happy 80th Birthday To Gordon Lightfoot

 @Pearlee  I love his music!! That is one of my favorite songs!! I consider him a poet .Very rare today!!

   Thanks for the memory!!💐

Respected Contributor
Posts: 2,656
Registered: ‎03-13-2010

Re: Happy 80th Birthday To Gordon Lightfoot

Love Gordon Lightfoot! 

 

"Sundown ya better take care if I find you been creeping round my back stairs."  "Sundown" is my personal favorite. 

Respected Contributor
Posts: 3,868
Registered: ‎07-24-2013

Re: Happy 80th Birthday To Gordon Lightfoot

 
Rainy day people always seem to know when it's time to call

Rainy day people don't talk
They just listen till they've heard it all

Rainy day lovers don't lie when they tell you
They've been down like you

Rainy day people don't mind if you're cryin' a tear or two
Honored Contributor
Posts: 37,325
Registered: ‎06-11-2011

Re: Happy 80th Birthday To Gordon Lightfoot


@KentuckyWoman wrote:

Love Gordon Lightfoot! 

 

"Sundown ya better take care if I find you been creeping round my back stairs."  "Sundown" is my personal favorite. 


@KentuckyWoman  I just read a released-in-2018 (that is, very new) authorized biography of Gordon, and the author wrote that that song was written for his then-girlfriend, Cathy Smith, who was the woman who gave John Belushi is fatal drug overdose.   Cathy is "Sundown."  Interesting.  

 

I just found this online (it's not from the book but the book said pretty much the same thing regarding her and Gordon:

 

"In the mid 1970s, Smith met Canadian singer-songwriter Gordon Lightfoot. Though Lightfoot was married, the two engaged in a three-year affair, which was tumultuous and at times violent. One night after drinking too much, Lightfoot struck Smith, breaking her cheekbone. He claimed his rage stemmed from his jealousy of the other men that hit on Smith during their affair.  

 

.....

 

For several years, from the mid to late 70s, Smith acted as a groupie/drug dealer for Keith Richards and Mick Jagger."

 

Source: https://allthatsinteresting.com/cathy-smith

Respected Contributor
Posts: 3,588
Registered: ‎03-09-2010

Re: Happy 80th Birthday To Gordon Lightfoot

If You Could Read My Mind is one of my favorite songs.

Honored Contributor
Posts: 37,325
Registered: ‎06-11-2011

Re: Happy 80th Birthday To Gordon Lightfoot


@ Montana wrote:

If You Could Read My Mind is one of my favorite songs.


@ Montana  Mine too.  I just love that song.  That one was written when his marriage to his first wife was breaking up (due to Gordon's infidelities).  

Respected Contributor
Posts: 2,104
Registered: ‎03-10-2010

Re: Happy 80th Birthday To Gordon Lightfoot

I love his music.