Respected Contributor

Re: Hanukkah is in December, too

The Christmas tree was a pagon symbol.

We have one in our home. We celebrate both holidays. I am Jewish and mr henny was raised in the Presbyterian faith. 

We don't buy during the Christmas in July shows. It is overload for us.

It was fun when Kathy Levin would host an hour show in late nov or early Dec. One and done. Nice items.

Trusted Contributor

@Shanus 

My eldest son (Roman Catholic) married a Jewish woman. They celebrate both holidays, however my Dear DIL and myself we buy outside of QVC for the Jewish holidays because of much better selection for everyone.

I actually made wrapping paper in the early years for Hanukka. The grandkids never complained because loot is loot. lol And yes, they’re all good kids in both faiths, but hey, presents are presents no matter how they’re wrapped.

Peace and Blessings to You and Yours.

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

It seems like many years ago I asked the same question. There was a vendor on who sold numerous Christmas items and only one Hanukkah item. We were told his products were made in Israel.  I decided to contact him directly by phone and ask about why there were no more created and sold.  His answer:  We tried but sold so few that it was not worth the effort or time.  He said the sales were minimal.  And he added he was Jewish and would have liked for there to be more demand and he would  have provided more.  I wish I could remember his name.   

Honored Contributor

@Malcontent wrote:

@Shanus 

My eldest son (Roman Catholic) married a Jewish woman. They celebrate both holidays, however my Dear DIL and myself we buy outside of QVC for the Jewish holidays because of much better selection for everyone.

I actually made wrapping paper in the early years for Hanukka. The grandkids never complained because loot is loot. lol And yes, they’re all good kids in both faiths, but hey, presents are presents no matter how they’re wrapped.

Peae and Blessings to You and Yours.

@Malcontent   I definitely don't rely on Q for Hanukkah anything...even Homegoods has an ample supply of napkins,decor, "gelt" (the chocolate coins wrapped in gold foil), etc. 

When my DS married our DIL, they were married by a rabbi who they met with them for months before the wedding. His "take" on a mixed marriage is that the children need one primary religion to not be confused. My son was firm before getting engaged that his children needed to be raised Jewish and my DIL loved him enough to agree. My DIL maintains  her religion w/ a tiny tabletop tree and still attends mass. The Girls are old enough now to understand that Mom isn't Jewish and she celebrates Christmas, Easter, etc,

The GDs have been raised Jewish, but when they got a bit older, of course they were around DILs family and learned about Christmas. Her family gave each child a small Christmas gift since all their cousins were opneing their gifts, but they still knew it was a holiday they did not celebrate.

Jewish holidays are based on events in history like the escape from Egypt (Passover) and Hanukkah is a celebration of the building of a temple where a "lantern" had enough oil to last a day, but burned for 8 days...hence the miracle of the 8 days of Hanukkah. 

Growing up in the south in the 50's and  60's, there were very few Jewish people here, but they managed to build a small temple and as more jewish people came, larger synagogues were built. Now, there are very many Jewish families in my area....the 3-5 major universities and famous hospitals brought many here, as well as the beautiful weather and the area itself. 

Hanukkah is not as much celebrated with gifts as it is teaching the meaning of the holiday/history, lighting the candles, special declicious foods associated with Hanukkah, etc. 

IMHO, being exposed to Christmas and gentile friends as a child, Christmas has now become too commercial. The true meaning has taken second place to gift giving, decor, etc. I studied the old and new testament in college and I feel this shift is misleading and for commercial gain.

My wish for hanukkah items on QVC is not the items for sale, but rather the recognition that Hanukkah does exist...maybe a menorah (the holder of the 8 candles), the candles themselves and maybe a few gift bags. 

Yes, I'm in a minority, but each year facing malls decorated before thanksgiving and santa areas for photo ops left my kids out completely. Such is life.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@bonnielu  There is jeweler here now from Israel, Danny, who sells alot of his jewelry...I see a star of David every once in awhile. I've purchased them for my granddaughters. At least there was that choice when the other 2 were crosses or hearts. Hagit's jewelry is also from Israel and both are Jewish. 

Sometimes sales on one item won't make or break a vendor. It's the inclusivity that is missing.

Honored Contributor

@shoekitty wrote:

I am not of the Jewish faith, but I have a door prayer scroll. I love them, and keep a prayer in it.  I would love to see some items. 

@shoekitty   Yes, they are beautifully made and i collect them as art. Some are quite ornate made with enamel and stones.

Honored Contributor

@Black Cat Back wrote:

I'm sure they have their obligatory menorah on set.

@Black Cat Back ....but Christmas in July and the many shows w/ decor and trees are not obligatory.

Honored Contributor

This may be OT---anyone remember Father John?

Trusted Contributor

@Shanus 

I agree that these holidays have become too commercialized.

Being an old school Roman Catholic, Christmas starts on the 25th and ends on the 10th of January and it’s not commercial, but religious for me personally.

My DIL and son are raising their children the best they know how with the two faiths.

They both believe in G_d the Father (creator), but are on different paths to him. We Catholics take the long way around. lol

I believe they’ve done a good job considering the differences.

They were married by both a Rabbi and a Priest and have been married over 20 years and I pray G_d blesses them with many more years to come.

Honored Contributor

@shoekitty @ wrote

I am not of the Jewish faith, but I have a door prayer scroll. I love them, and keep a prayer in it.  I would love to see some items. 

Nice that you have a mezuzah blessing your home.

If you Google them, there are some really unique and modern ones available.