Regular Contributor

Hanukkah is in December, too

Hanukkah is in December, too. Can't QVC work a little harder to find unique and cool things for the Festival of Light?  Items such as colorful Hanukkah candle sets, interesting menorahs, dreydels, door mezuzahs or additional nice Hanukkah decor? It's like this every year. We celebrate Hanukkah in my home.  Having blue candles or silver garland is not what I would call Hanukkah decoration. Christmas in July has nothing for me.

Respected Contributor

Re: Hanukkah is in December, too

@Addie2118   If you type Hanukkah into the search bar, a number of items are available.

I agree with you.  I wish they would devote more time and items for Hanukkah.

"Justice will not be served until those who are unaffected are as outraged as those who are." BF
Regular Contributor

Hi. Just looked. There are some Hanukkah things. It would be nice is they displayed them on their shows, Thanks! I'm finding I find lots of Hanukkah things on Etsy.

Esteemed Contributor

While I don’t follow the Christmas shows very much, I have always wondered why Hanukkah is ignored.  Speaking for myself only, I already have a large amount of Christmas decor and no interest in buying more.  I can bet there would be a large demand for unusual and tasteful Hanukkah decor.  This would also be an opportunity to sell some appropriate jewelry for our Jewish friends.

Honored Contributor

Back in the olden days Kathy Levine would have a Hanukkah show and Dave Barry (?) a Kawanz show. Not in July.

Respected Contributor

Hanukkah and Kwanzaa are mentioned but that is it. How about a Hanukkah Berkshire Blanket? They have had some nice ones in past years. It wouldn't hurt to bring out a few Hanukkah items. I am guessing it is volume sales bringing in money that drives the line up. Some families celebrate both Holidays.

I really enjoy hearing other culture traditions through products presented. Not Qs thing.

Honored Contributor

Let's face it, Hanukkah has always played second fiddle to Christmas. There are parts of the country you don't see many Jewish people usually in bigger cities. Maybe QVC feels it's not worth televising, there aren't enough people watching to buy the items. 

Honored Contributor

@Addie2118 wrote:

Hanukkah is in December, too. Can't QVC work a little harder to find unique and cool things for the Festival of Light?  Items such as colorful Hanukkah candle sets, interesting menorahs, dreydels, door mezuzahs or additional nice Hanukkah decor? It's like this every year. We celebrate Hanukkah in my home.  Having blue candles or silver garland is not what I would call Hanukkah decoration. Christmas in July has nothing for me.

@Addie2118   I've mentioned this here for many years and even emailed the PTB...nothing. When Elise Ivy was on, she'd present one or two items, light Hanukkah candles once or twice, but I've learned not to expect the reconition. Being in the minority at holiday time stinks. 

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Q presents items (sometimes too many, for my taste) for Irish products and used to show Polish pottery. 

There are more Jewish families and mixed marriage families than people believe and should be recognized.

***Hanukkah is not a major gift giving holiday like Christmas....it's rather a celebration of light, an historical celebration, but children do receive a few inexpensive gifts some the first night and others all 8 nights of the holiday.

We do have a "Hanukkah Tree" with ornaments that are 6 stars, white/blue lights, Jewish ones purchased on line, etc. Both of our kids married Catholic spouses, even though our GDs are being raised Jewish. Having a tree at the holidays makes our DIL and SIL feel more accepted and welcomed.

Honored Contributor

I am not being flip here, I really hope for you that a lot of what has happened to Christmas does not happen to Hanukkah.  

It is shocking when what should be a celebration of faith is this commercialized.  I will leave it at that and say I just ignore this part of Christmas as best as I can. . .