Super Contributor
Is anyone familiar with this app? Is it safe? A friend of mine wants to communicate thru this app. When I went to the App Store it didn’t get such great reviews.

Does anyone know if it’s safe to communicate thru this app? Thanks.
Respected Contributor

@Ditzydori wrote:
Is anyone familiar with this app? Is it safe? A friend of mine wants to communicate thru this app. When I went to the App Store it didn’t get such great reviews.

Does anyone know if it’s safe to communicate thru this app? Thanks.

Hello...I have used the Hangout app to talk to my son in another state. The app was okay but we had a couple of times when the call kept dropping but other than that there were no issues.

I have not used it in a couple of months and my brother confirmed that Google may be discontinuing the Hangout App later this year. I would check the Google site to verify the information.

Super Contributor
Thanks. The reason I’m asking is I met someone on line, and he asked for my email so we could chat on hangout. I decided not to give him my email. I’m just too skeptical to divulge any personal info.

It’s funny. I play words with friends and let me tell you. It’s like a dating site. But this one particular gentleman seemed very nice and we’ve been chatting on WWF. But then he asked me for my email to chat on hangouts. At first I was tempted because he seemed nice enough. But isn’t that their ultimate, to gain your confidence? But then I slapped myself, and I told him I didn’t give out my info to anyone. He said he understood. But I just thought it strange, even though I was tempted.

Do you agree?

Esteemed Contributor

Re: Hangout app

[ Edited ]

@Ditzydori - Not to hijack your thread, however, I watched a show the other night regarding dating apps (not that what you are talking about is) and let me tell you it was an eye opener.

The show was hosted by Elizabeth Vargas (sp?) and it was on A&E. It also mentions that background checks are not done on people using these sites - Match, Tinder, etc.

You could always open another email account and use that for your "junk" or app mail. This way you won't be giving out any personal information.

Honored Contributor

Don't be a statistic. 

Honored Contributor

You could always use a throw away e-mail address if you really wanted to chat with him.

However, the first thing that came to my mind was catfishing.

Honored Contributor

You could use WhatsApp for chatting. That’s what I did with people I didn’t know in person. 

Super Contributor

Thanks form your replies. Is what's app a better chat app?

Respected Contributor
Hangouts is a Google app and it’s perfectly safe. Kik is another app popular for moving conversations off dating sites.
Honored Contributor

I’ve used Kik with no problem too.