Honored Contributor

Re: Handcuffing Disabled Kids

@occasionalrain wrote:

Regardless of the reason, no child should be permitted to terrorize a classroom. Children shouldn't have to leave their classroom to find a "safe" place, their classroom should be safe from the time they arrive at school until they leave at the end of the day.

Excuse me, but are you talking about the child in this case who was handcuffed?

I'd like to know your source saying he was terrorizing the classroom.

A Thrill Of Hope The Weary World Rejoices
Respected Contributor

@riley1   I have the deepest empathy and respect for you!

Esteemed Contributor

@riley1 wrote:

@Wsmom - sorry, I didn't know you directed that question to me - but I believe it was answered by someone else.

It was a question in general, and thank you to those who answered.  I appreciate it.

Esteemed Contributor

@riley1, I did a search to go back and read your story about your son.  I am so sorry for all that you've gone through and continue to go through.   You have got a full plate.

Honored Contributor

I didn't read every single post here ..... but what seems to be glossed over is that the school employees weren't able to subdue the kids in question so then they had to call the police.    

(Did the police know these kids were disabled?)

What else would a police officer be expected to do if the school called because the kid was so out of control they HAD to be called .... would you rather the officer taser the kid?

Esteemed Contributor

He was assigned to the school.
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Tinkr, I don't know how it was at this school but policemen sometimes work at schools part time.  Where I worked, there were several years where we had police on staff part time.  And yes, there was a time or two where handcuffs were used.  To be honest, the times that I saw them used, I would have deemed them necessary.  We'd all be so glad that the situation was ended without anyone getting hurt.

“You can’t wait until life isn’t hard anymore to be happy”. (By Nightbirde, singer of the song, It’s Ok)
Valued Contributor

@Tinkrbl44 wrote:

I didn't read every single post here ..... but what seems to be glossed over is that the school employees weren't able to subdue the kids in question so then they had to call the police.    

(Did the police know these kids were disabled?)

What else would a police officer be expected to do if the school called because the kid was so out of control they HAD to be called .... would you rather the officer taser the kid?

I agree. It should never come to that point though.

If a teacher is so threatened and/or over-whelmed, there need to be other solutions or tactics in place for him or her to turn to before dialing "911" for the SWAT teams.

That alone demonstrates that there is big hole in the system.

I have a very good friend, mom of two, degrees, worked in advertising, etc who thought it would be a "nice" idea to work part-time in the local school. She was assigned to be a teaching assistant...in a special needs classroom.

After only about two weeks she had to quit. Even at the middle school level she said that a couple of the boys were utterly scary - angry, strong, belligerent. She also said that many of the kids, while disabled, are utterly spoiled. And its known that many are on some level. They often receive a lot of attention at home and always have. AND SOME can be sort of self-centered.

While all of that may be true (and I don't doubt it) the other truth was that my friend, as smart and as caring as she is, was NOT equipped to work with such kids or in such a classroom.

And why should she be when her "training" for special needs assistant teaching was maybe a whole hour. The need for an adult body in the room is sometimes that great.

We can look at the KIDS all day long and assess them head-to-toe. But they're there for a reason. They didn't drive themselves to school or place themselves into that classroom.

We won't solve much indicting the behaviors of the child, in other words.

We can only look at the teachers and the whole system. Are they truly equipped to deal with such students (or such students when things go afoul?).

Its similar to those who want to work with the elderly in nursing homes. They may have the book training and even the good will to want to help. But not all people are equipped or skilled to deal with anything but puddin' time at the home. They can't truly handle the dark days or hard, belligerent patients or the messes or the death.

Same with Special Needs teaching. It takes not only a particular sort of training but a very particular person who can deal with it all - on a daily basis - good days and bad.

Something is really wrong with the entire scenario if the National Guard has to be called in to deal with a special needs student.

Honored Contributor

My heart goes out to those parents who have kids with special needs no matter what they are. When I was growing up in the 50's we didn't see children who had any kind of problems, especially not in a class room. The teachers at that time could barely teach the so called average student, if you had any type of learning disability you were SOL.

QVC Customer Care

This post has been removed by QVC because of unkind comments directed to other posters