Trusted Contributor

Re: Handcuffing Disabled Kids

[ Edited ]

There are so many aspects to this situation that there is no easy answer at any level.  I looked at the video and the interaction between the officer and the boy student but did not read any information about what behaviors were being displayed by the two children previously that necessitated the intervention of the resource officer that was involved.

As Red Top has said, special education teachers, (which I was for 32 years) are trained in restraint procedures that if done correctly do not physically harm the child.  I had an hour of training.  I felt like it was something that had to be practiced a lot before being used without physical harm to a student. Since I did not feel like I was trained enough to do it, I vowed I would never do it. So, I thought, what would I do if this would happen?  I had arranged with a colleague next door that if I had a situation like this, I had made up packets for the students to do and left them with my colleague to minimize the disruption to her classroom.   I would send the other students out of the room to her room, call the office for the principal to come down to the classroom (we had a code phrase so if others were in the office the privacy of the students were protected, but it relayed the message that another adult was needed immediately) and the other adult could be the assistant principal, the counselor, the nurse, the psychologist, the social worker === any ancillary personnel in the building at that time.  Parents should have been called to come to the school immediately in case they were needed to help in the deescalation of the situation.

I do not agree with the ACLU that the student's ADHD is the justification for inappropriate behavior.  I have had many, many students with ADHD.  ADHD does not equal behavior problems.  It could be these particular children had multiple causation for their behavior.  If that was the case, there should have been a behavior plan written and understood by ALL people who had contact with these students.  The plan should have had levels of intervention and the steps of intervention should be followed unless, of course, if a child is in danger of being harmed.  Students cannot be in a special education classroom just because they have ADHD. If the ADHD is at such a level that it adversely affects the educational performance of the student these students may qualify for special education and related services based on "Other Health Impairment".  If the educational performance of the student is not affected as determined by results of assessment by the psychologist, social worker, teacher, and any other persons with pertinent information, at a meeting in which the parents are present,  a 504 Plan can be completed without the student being labeled as special education.  However, a student with significant emotional/behavior disorders may qualify and have a secondary qualification of "Other Health Impairment". 

I feel for so many people, and not necessarily in the order of importance.  Each situation is just as important as any other.  I feel for the resource officer as it is very apparent he has not been trained what to do in a situation like this and should have not been there without such training.  I feel for the other students whose educational setting was disrupted and who may have witnessed this.  I feel for the teacher who may have had repeated behavior problems from these students.  I feel for the parents who sometimes are at a loss themselves of how to help their child. But, most of all, I feel for the child who may have multiple causation for his actions.  That is why coping mechanisms need to be implemented for children even before coming to school.  Actions and the consequences and/or choices (at the appropriate age level) need to be a part of the child's daily life.

A lawsuit will bring attention to this case, but will it really solve anything other than lining the pockets of attorneys?  Maybe that money coud be better spent on training, intervention techniques, and education BEFORE such a situation happens.

Sorry this is so long.

“I can do things you cannot, you can do things I cannot; together we can do great things.” St.Teresa of Calcutta
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@NoelSeven wrote:

@151949 wrote:

I notice that no one has offered an answer to what they think should have been done instead to prevent him injuring himself or someone else. I'm sure handcuffs were used because that was all that was available.

You are a retired nurse, I would think you had training on this.

You might also want to read the post from the member whose daughter handles these issues, I believe her name is Red Top.

The answer is: hire people trained to deal with it.

And how do those people deal with it. The child is hitting , kicking and yelling right in front of the rest of the class. The child is very likely to injure himself or someone else - how is that prevented ? A real, actual answer please. Hire someone to deal with it is not a real answer. IT is happening right now - real time. Not some time in the future.

BTW - my training was - the patient would be RESTRAINED.

Honored Contributor

It's easy to fault those who intervened when you aren't the one being punched and kicked. I've read excuses for the violent behavior and blame for those in the situation. 

I have no issue with this child being handcuffed, if he doesn't learn to act acceptably now when he's older he will find himself  tazed, handcuffed and taken to jail.

Honored Contributor

Winston Churchill said those who criticize without offering a viable alternative solution are just whining. I agree with him.

Esteemed Contributor

Yes, I've seen and read it all now.  

Keep Your Face To The Sunshine and You Will Not See The Shadow
Valued Contributor

@NoelSeven wrote:

@guatmum wrote:

The child recently on the news was diagnosed ADHD (attention deficit hyperactive disorder).  As a teacher, I don't see a true diagnosis of ADHD as a disability but as a condition.  An actual diagnosis requires a neurologist to do it.  Any child diagnosed with that condition is then given some sort of treatment which should allow him/her to function in a fairly controlled way.  If the parents choose not to avail themselves of any treatment, the child will then have difficulties at school.  Each year up to 1/3 of my class has been diagnosed as ADD or ADHD.  That certainly is no excuse for a child to pull a fit.  Unfortunately, sometimes ADD or ADHD is used as an excuse (we hear often of some of these shooters being ADHD as though that partially explains their behavior) when the real problem is what I call DDD (discipline deficit disorder).  Most kids with ADHD or ADD are wonderful and work on compensatory techniques.  People who report about the poor behavior of kids/people and include the fact that they are ADHD give the majority of the population with ADHD a bad name.

All that being said, I can't imagine EVER needing to use handcuffs on a child.  Passive restraint is something some children need, the need usually presents itself early in their educational career, and parents can be informed ahead of time that this safe technique will be used if certain violent behaviors occur.

I pretty much totally disagree with your comments dismissing the disability and chalking it up to a lack of discipline.

So do the experts.  Example:

Sensory processing issues: Sensory processing challenges, often seen in autistic children and teens as well as many with ADHD, may cause kids to be overwhelmed by stimulation, and short-circuit in inconsolable meltdowns.

http://www.childmind.org/en/posts/articles/2013-10-29-why-do-kids-have-tantrums-and-meltdowns

I did not "dismiss" the disability; I labelled it a condition since, in most cases, it does not disable the child, especially within structured environments.  I did not "chalk it up" to discipline in all cases;  please reread since the word "sometimes" was used and I can tell you I am right.  Through my own experience with NUMEROUS young students diagnosed with ADD and ADHD, I have seen what structure and discipline, over time, can do for a child with these conditions.  The structure and discipline in the classroom and at home must also, in MOST cases, be coupled with behavior and/or pharmaceutical therapies in order for the child to successfully deal with the non-

ADHD environment.  Tantrums and meltdowns are signs that something is amiss and are not just natural occurrances for any child, even those with ADHD.  As students grow, even those in upper elementary school are often able to take some ownership in their own behavioral programs, learning to attend to their bodies and feelings and often able to remove themselves to a quiet place before a meltdown occurs.  I've had many students do this.

Valued Contributor

@151949 wrote:

Winston Churchill said those who criticize without offering a viable alternative solution are just whining. I agree with him.

I think a few of us have mentioned passive restraint.  This would be the solution you are asking people to give to replace handcuffs.  As far as other students in the room, they can and should be trained to quickly leave the room and line up in the hall or go to a designated classroom on command for emergencies like student meltdowns.

Honored Contributor

@151949 wrote:

Winston Churchill is the best. No one like him before or since.

Respected Contributor

I would welcome someone explaining the techniques of restraining a violent child.  I once tried to separate 2 fighting boys at school and got clawed, not on purpose, but there is the hepatitis, even aids danger, as you are not allowed to know if the students have these diseases.

Honored Contributor

And could you descfibe , in plain layman english , what "passive restraint" is.