Honored Contributor

Re: Handcuffing Disabled Kids

@151949 wrote:

@NoelSeven wrote:

@Mmsfoxxie wrote:

@151949 wrote:

I was reading an article about this subject on FB - the teacher was discussing a coworker of hers that had tried to hold a child who was  having a    meltdown like this and he head butted the teacher right in the chest and caused him to suffer a cardiac arrest. The paramedics tried to resuscitate him but he died. personally, I feel it is much more important to protect the innocent teachers and other children first then worry about the feeling of the child causing the disturbance.

I vaguely remember this story a few months ago.  I believe it was in a high school.

I doubt it ever happened.  Urban myth.  I googled it and nothing, but I did find stories about a teacher taking an axe to a student's privates.

Should we use that teacher to represent all teachers?

You know not everything oin life ends up on u tube. Not everyone grabs a cell phone in a crisis and records it. Some people even actually do something useful - like CPR.

I didn't look on youtube, I googled news reports.

A Thrill Of Hope The Weary World Rejoices
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Mmsfoxxie wrote:

@NoelSeven wrote:

@YorkieonmyPillow wrote:

I've seen several videos recently, along with the stories, of teachers being physically attacked by students.

It's obscene what teachers are exposed to and expected to put up with.

It seems it's worse for the kids, what with axe assaults and the sexual predators teaching in schools.

Axe assaults are not a daily happening.  Neither is sexual assualt.  Violent behaviors happens everyday.  Usually the ones that act out like this are never absent....perfect attendance.

Sexual assaults are pretty common.  Haven't you seen the numerous reports lately which really make the news because it's women charged with rape? 

An axe report isn't common, but neither is a disabled student who supposedly head butts a teacher in the chest. 

Honored Contributor

@NoelSeven wrote:

@Mmsfoxxie wrote:

@NoelSeven wrote:

@YorkieonmyPillow wrote:

I've seen several videos recently, along with the stories, of teachers being physically attacked by students.

It seems it's worse for the kids, what with axe assaults and the sexual predators teaching in schools.

Axe assaults are not a daily happening.  Neither is sexual assualt.  Violent behaviors happens everyday.  Usually the ones that act out like this are never absent....perfect attendance.

Sexual assaults are pretty common.  Haven't you seen the numerous reports lately which really make the news because it's women charged with rape? 

An axe report isn't common, but neither is a disabled student who supposedly head butts a teacher in the chest. 

Common, but not everyday.  In some schools, violent behavior is an everyday occurrence.  Kids in some rooms don't even want to come to school because they are in fear.

“You can’t wait until life isn’t hard anymore to be happy”. (By Nightbirde, singer of the song, It’s Ok)
Honored Contributor

@Mmsfoxxie wrote:

@NoelSeven wrote:

@Mmsfoxxie wrote:

@NoelSeven wrote:

@YorkieonmyPillow wrote:

Common, but not everyday.  In some schools, violent behavior is an everyday occurrence.  Kids in some rooms don't even want to come to school because they are in fear.

Yes, there is violence in schools, I doubt anyone would disagree.  But the subject is brutalizing a small 8 year old handicapped child.  There has been no evidence that he was dangerous, yet some that said literally that desks were flying and that other children were in danger.

There was no evidence that any of that was true.

A small boy with a neurological condition that sometimes includes meltdowns.  Tied to a chair and terrified.  Great way to treat a little child struggling with a medical condition.

Esteemed Contributor

There is A LOT of violence in schools these days. That's why so many schools have a policeman assigned there.

Anyone who dispute that is just clueless!

I wouldn't enter the teaching profession for ANYTHING nowadays, unless it was to teach kindergarden or first grade, etc. It's just too dangerous and it's not like you could actually TEACH anything, anyway........pretty soon teachers will have to wear bodycams, bullet-proof vests, etc.

I can't imagine putting actual handcuffs on a small child, though....IMHO if said child is that out of control, they don't need to be in a public school.

Honored Contributor

@YorkieonmyPillow wrote:

There is A LOT of violence in schools these days. That's why so many schools have a policeman assigned there.

Anyone who dispute that is just clueless!

I wouldn't enter the teaching profession for ANYTHING nowadays, unless it was to teach kindergarden or first grade, etc. It's just too dangerous and it's not like you could actually TEACH anything, anyway........pretty soon teachers will have to wear bodycams, bullet-proof vests, etc.

I can't imagine putting actual handcuffs on a small child, though....IMHO if said child is that out of control, they don't need to be in a public school.

No one disputed it, there's no need for name calling.

Esteemed Contributor

I didn't call anyone a name.

Some of us here have manners......

Woman Very Happy

Honored Contributor

@NoelSeven wrote:

@Mmsfoxxie wrote:

@NoelSeven wrote:

@Mmsfoxxie wrote:

@NoelSeven wrote:

@YorkieonmyPillow wrote:

Yes, there is violence in schools, I doubt anyone would disagree.  But the subject is brutalizing a small 8 year old handicapped child.  There has been no evidence that he was dangerous, yet some that said literally that desks were flying and that other children were in danger.

There was no evidence that any of that was true.

A small boy with a neurological condition that sometimes includes meltdowns.  Tied to a chair and terrified.  Great way to treat a little child struggling with a medical condition.

Ok, lol.  We will have to agree to disagree on this.

No child should have to be put in handcuffs but sometimes circumstances give you no other recourse.  I wish it hadn't happened but it will keep happening as long as they put children in a setting in which they set them, the teacher, and the other innocent kids up for it to happen.

Of course the little boy didn't deserve for this to happen to him but neither did the other kids.  They probably were traumatized as well.  They have rights, too.

After seeing/working in similar situations for 24 years of my 25 years in a public school system, I've seen enough first hand to have an idea of WHY this poor child was handcuffed.  Not all of it will be publicized but I've seen enough to make an educated guess.

This has been an invigorating topic but I'm done.  Thanks for the conversation.

“You can’t wait until life isn’t hard anymore to be happy”. (By Nightbirde, singer of the song, It’s Ok)
Respected Contributor

I heard on the news that the child also suffered from PTSD and having him handcuffed caused him to suffer a PTSD episode. I think they could of handled this way better then terrifying the poor child.

Sleep sweet Bo 3/19/08 8/4/18
Highlighted
Honored Contributor

This clearly shouldn't be the norm, nor should it be the first line 'solution', but there are times when people of all ages need to be restrained to protect themselves and others.

In my pantry with my cupcakes...