Regular Contributor

Halloween in Toms River, NJ Today

Here is my major gripe and I am not one to post often. We are in the middle of moving, so I had my two vehicles parked one benind the other in the driveway. It blocked our porch area since I was packing boxes. All of a sudden I hear voices on my deck. I peak out my side window and see children and parents standing there. Now mind you there was approximately an inch between both cars. I watch as they leave and they are climbing all over my cars!!! Toms River celebrates Halloween a day before because they have a huge parade on the 31st. 

Parents are you this ignorant and careless to teach your children that this is proper behavior?? If there hadn't been small children outside I would have said something. It was incredibly obvious we were not partaking in the Halloween festivities. Most of the children didn't even have a costume on and one little girl had no top on as the mother was taking her door to door! I've grown up in Ocean County for 52 years and am so disheartened to see the caliber of people living here. Parents should teach therir children better conduct and behavior as to not climb all over cars. I just had to vent! To pack all day and then see this I almost exploded. Happy Halloween!!! 

Honored Contributor

Re: Halloween in Toms River, NJ Today

The girl was topless?  I thought Toms River was classier than that!!

Respected Contributor

Kids were crawling over your car?   That is terrible 

I would have moved them to the street.  

I notice a lot of kids coming from other neighborhood to trick or treat.  I see them pile out of cars.  That has really nothing to do with anything.  You would think that kids wouldn't crawl over a car no matter where they're from 

Honored Contributor

They were coming to the door for some candy and probably thought some inconsiderate person parked in front of the porch.  Still, they had no business climbing on cars.

Regular Contributor

No Toms River is far from classy! The county is ranked one of the highest concentrated areas of heroine use. The cars were in my driveway, so no parent would think someone else parked there and was inconsiderate. They knew full well that they were crawling over my vehicles. This was an offensive and disrespectful act and they taught their children thatnthis is an acceptable form of behavior. Do whatever you need to get what you want in life. Ugh! 

Honored Contributor

I think you're doing the right thing by moving away.  Hope you like your new home and community. 

Honored Contributor

Geez, I would have been out there in a second and telling those kids to get the heck off our cars and saying something not too polite (no cussing) to the parents as well!

Regular Contributor

Unfortunately, we are only moving one town over. My loving mother passed away in July and We decided to move back to the house I grew up in for almost 30 years.. Hubby and I decided to install a vinyl picket fence with two gates across the front. There  is fencing down the sides already from neighbors, but I feel it is necessary. With hubby's work schedule and situations like this it is best to feel safe. 

In fact I found it bizarre that last evening as it began thundering and lightening a woman was strolling with her child down the sidewalk. The torrential rain poured down and she took her time. We were frightened of the lightening! Oh, this area and its residents have changed the landscape of the community. Another Halloween formthe books!! Ladies, thank you for understanding!! 

Esteemed Contributor

I'm afraid nothing surprises me anymore.....

My hubby probably would have used some strong language to them if he saw kids on his car...

Honored Contributor

My parents lived in Toms River, but they were in an adult community so didn't get the trick or treaters.

I do remember though that the parade was always a big deal.