Contributor

Re: Halloween in Toms River, NJ Today

Those of us who live in Toms River know the kids go door to door for treats the day before the big parade.  After living there for 26 years you prepare for it.  It does not excuse the behavior of the kids to climb on the cars or the parents to allow that type of behavior.  I don't understand the bashing of a community due to some poorly behaved children.  Heroin use is at pandemic proportions these days, even in the little town I live in now.  Perhaps you will be happier living in Brick, Lakewood or South Toms River but there will still be people there you will not be happy with.  

Respected Contributor

I've never been to Tom's River, but I'm sure it's typical of population chanages.  I don't think there is anywhere left that you can go and expect the people there to have the type of manners and common sense that we used to see years ago.

Our neighborhood is gated, and shares the land with a large country club. On Halloween, we see many children that live in the neighborhood, but many more that don't live here.  Because it's relatively safe, families go to the club and then "visit" us. They bring golf carts full of children, and often booze it

up while they drive them from house to house. Two years ago there was a little boy - probably about three - who was left behind at our house. Took two hours to find his parents. They had sent him with other parents and didn't even know he was missing.  At least a dozen parents will ask to use our restroom, which is really a pain.  Last year we had 242 children. It gets very expensive.

This year, since I just lost my DH, I am turning off the lights and letting those little goblins go someplace else.  I'm really not up to celebrating anything this year.

Honored Contributor

@angel8

I'm not clear on this.  Were your two cars blocking people from walking on the sidewalk past your house and possibly making them walk out into the street?

I can understand why some might object, but certainly not allow their children to climb on your cars.  I would have said something to them, too.

Honored Contributor

http://la-stockemotes.deviantart.com/art/Good-Luck-With-Your-Move-561535747

Honored Contributor

To all, stay safe, enjoy the parade!

http://www.lovethisgif.com/image/1666/happy-halloween

Respected Contributor

We can get a ticket if we block the sidewalk with our cars. 

Highlighted
Regular Contributor

First and foremost I can bash the area since I have grown up and lived here for 52 years. Do you know how this area has changed for the worse?? I do. When I grew up people were repsectful of others. I do not have to prepare for Halloween. We are moving so the holiday is not on my radar or concern. Why would I worry about Halloween and prepare for it? My mother just passed away and the move is enough to worry about and plan for the future. 

My cars were in my own driveway, not in the street. All I chose to write about was how the general attitude and behavior has changed. When a town is bashed in the news, why would I feel any different. Many towns in Ocean County are suffering. Children and parents climbing on cars and walking in my landscaping illustrates classless behavior. Sorry if you don't agree about the area. Have you lived here long? 

Contributor

yes, I lived in Toms River for 26 years as I stated in my first post.  Moving one town over will not change the class of people you will encounter as I am familiar with the areas surrounding Toms River.  The childrens behavior along with the parents behavior was unacceptable and a bad experience, but it is naive to expect perfect surroundings wherever you go.  I do know what it is like to lose my Mom since my own passed recently, along with my Dad.  My eldest sister was killed in a car accident and my son had a heroin addiction as well.  My point is that you will find problems no matter where you go

Regular Contributor

Since I am a native of this area no one can tell me more about the surrounding towns. At no time would anyone infer that my perspective is naive. As I grew up it was idyllic and there is nothing wrong with expecting an area to raise the bar rather than lowering it. My move is solely based on a family promise to keep the house in the family. I'm not running away from Ocean County. The faith is in the hands of the governing officials who want to see the county prosper and not continue to fall into the hands of gangs, drugs, and the seedy element that is encompassing local towns. When I grew up we never saw police posted at Shoprite and people didn't wear their PJ'S to the store. Many original locals are repulsed by the changes. Sorry for your losses. I took care of my mom for 20 1/2 years and my focus was not on Halloween and disrespectful parents and children. I think people can alter change rather than be immersed in decline. Happy holidays!