Trusted Contributor

We get 100+ kids most years.  We skipped last year due to Covid. 

This year I bought a large box of fruit snacks at Costco, and a bag of individually wrapped M&Ms to add to the bags for the kids that I know from the immediate neighborhood (about 10 of them).  I don't like the holiday anymore, but since I LOVED it as a kid, we keep up the tradition.

Esteemed Contributor

Re: Halloween Candy

[ Edited ]

Easy for me. Nothing. I stopped giving candy several years ago. I got sick of buying it and having so much left over I would just take it to work to feed the vultures there. The kids in our are have many different options that they're aren't many trick or treaters anyway. And I'm not buying it to feed mommy and daddy.

Honored Contributor

I'm very bad.  I don't do Halloween (we don't really have any little kids around here anyway), but I DO do Halloween candy.  Smiley Very Happy

I'm stocked up now for at least a year.  Thank goodness for Lock & Lock.  I got a couple of mixed bags of the ones I like.  My favs are Butterfinger, Kit Kat, Reese's, and Almond Joy.   I still have some candy corn from last year and some Reese's PB Eggs from Easter 2020 (in freezer in L&L, so they're good).

I noticed some of the larger bags are fairly expensive this time around. 

I told myself no more candy buying!   I love having the little fun sizes because I can have just a little bit of something to sate my hunger for that sort of thing. 

Honored Contributor

@Just Bling I will probably go to my local supermarket on the Friday before (to keep consuming candy at a minimum for myself). 

They always have bags of the usual ....mini M&M's, Kitkat, Twixt, Mars, etc.  I'll get several bags.

Honored Contributor

@FiddleDeeDee Wow!  I can see how that could be fun in the neighborhood if you had young kids and were friendly with a lot of the neighbors....could be great!

I can also see how it would attract a lot from out of the neighborhood.  We used to have a lot of young kids comeint through with lots of great home decorations.

However while there are still some tick-or-treaters that come around most of the kids are grown and gone.  In my own home now I decorate for the fall season outdoors....it carries me through Thanksgiving.

Respected Contributor

Prior to Covid our community did Trunk or Treat. Closed off main street. Community Organizations, Churches and youth groups like Boys and Girls Club opened up their trunks, car back ends and kids and chaperones walked up the street to each car.  If private individuals wanted to give out candy they contacted the Church in charge.

My GF lived in the country on an old farm property and missed the kids so she  spent hundreds and hundreds of dollars participating.  I helped her hand out candy. She even bought full size candy bars. Everyone comes into town. It helps cut down on traffic as some neighborhoods were always unfairly used for Trick or Treaters from outside the city.  It can get expensive.

Our houses in my neighborhood are too far apart so I  don't need to buy candy. When I worked for the Tribal Head Start they gave out fruit snacks,  pretzels, applesauce cups , granola bars and a tooth brush and paste. I am sure they got enough candy in other buildings.

Honored Contributor

I will probably pass out Candy Bars! We recently moved to a subdivision with lots of kids nearby, so I would imagine Halloween , we will have lots of trick or treaters! I guess I will find out! Our old house, we only ever had maybe 30-40 kids each year, it would get smaller and smaller.... 

Super Contributor

Giving out Starbursts, because I'd never eat them and want to keep off the sugar. 

Esteemed Contributor

No young kids in my neck of the woods. Live far apart from other houses.

My favorite candy though is M&M's plain. Will buy some afterwards when

all candy is half price at the stores.

Honored Contributor

Although the number of Trick or Treaters has diminished quite a bit during the last decades, lately, we have had an infusion of new families with young ones, so things are unpredictable.  Plus, we have a new baby, too, who is now about seven months old.  I bet her parents take her out if the night is comfortable.

I always buy Reese's peanut butter cups, but this year I decided to get two bags of mixed miniatures that include peanut butter cups.    

If the kids don't eat them, my family and I will.