Honored Contributor

Re: Halloween Candy For The Trick-or-Treaters

It's too busy here to have time to let them pick.  We'd get too back up.

I buy the 150 packs of fun size variety from Costco and give 3-4 pieces to each kid.  

As it gets later, I give more to each kid to get rid of it.

I take the rest to work.

===================================
QVC Shopper - 1993

# IAMTEAMWEN
Honored Contributor

I also buy a few things for the neighbors who bring their tiny grandkids by to show them off....animal crackers or other treats suitable for them....I also could never let the kids choose what they want or they would take forever.....I put it in their bags and they go to the side of the porch to examine it lol
Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Sooner wrote:

@Daisy Sunflower I'd never let them choose.  We'd be there all night!!!!  LOL!!!

@Sooner

That's too bad -- We never had that problem.

Even if they do take a few seconds to decide, it's not a big deal -- and I'm sure it makes them happy to get what they really want. If I was so worried about time, I wouldn't hand out candy. LOL

HAPPY HALLOWEEN !!!

Esteemed Contributor

We don't get that many kids anymore so we're able to let the the kids choose what they want. If we had a steady stream of kids, we wouldn't. LOL

I enjoy looking at the kids' costumes, too. I usually take the time to tell them I like their costumes -- it makes them (and their moms) smile. It's nice seeing the kids out having fun.

Honored Contributor

@Daisy Sunflower wrote:

@Sooner wrote:

@Daisy Sunflower I'd never let them choose.  We'd be there all night!!!!  LOL!!!

@Sooner

That's too bad -- We never had that problem.

Even if they do take a few seconds to decide, it's not a big deal -- and I'm sure it makes them happy to get what they really want. If I was so worried about time, I wouldn't hand out candy. LOL

HAPPY HALLOWEEN !!!

@Daisy Sunflower  We are in one of the neighbohoods where they bus in kids.  We get way more than 100 kids.  I've never counted, but to let them pick out their candy would be impossible. 

Honored Contributor

I do let kids choose some time.  Usuually when it is slow.  I love the kids at the door.  Aahhh to be young again!!!!  They are so happy and excited.  They love their costumes!!  

Honored Contributor

Let them choose?  That would certainly make for one very long night when you consider how picky kids can be.   We don't get many, I bought a bag of mixed candy and I'll throw 3-4 pieces in each kids bag.  Hubby can take what's left to work with him.  I bought candy that neither of us cares for. 

Esteemed Contributor

@Daisy Sunflower Totally agree! Oh, my goodness! The kids love that you notice the costumes. I make sure to do so. Can't forget my daughter in her princess/fairy/bride costume and my son in his Power Ranger outfit!

Respected Contributor

Finally my neighborhood got rules, 6-8 pm and anyone over 12yrs can't participate but sometimes I really don't care if you are dressed. We had about 30 kids last year got 30 full size candy bars at costco plus a bag of mini's different choices & usually put 2-3 in their bag, my problem is my husband, he eats the candy and I tell him after 8pm whatever is left is yours. He gives out all the candy he doesn't care for, so he may have his favorites leftover. Last year about every other house had their lights off so guess the kids rather go to a street that houses are lit up. Right now my neighbor is having her yearly Halloween party the kids are around 14yrs and having fun in the backyard. Good for them. I loved Halloween but think going to house to house may soon be a thing of the past. Most do the Trick & Trunk at parking lots so everyone is safe. It's sad that people decorate their front yard and some destroy or steal their decorations. 

Respected Contributor

We give out a variety of candy bars. I buy what we like so we can eat the leftovers; I love Halloween so why not it"s only once a year. When I was a kid I really enjoyed running house to house getting treats. Back then some people gave out homemade treats also and the only downside was when they dropped apples in your bag and crushed your candy.HAPPY HALLOWEEN!!