Honored Contributor

@151949I think that cash was a gift from heaven...your Grandma must have wanted you to find it and that is probably why you looked at those cards.Really interesting story.

Honored Contributor

IRS would be knocking on my door LOL what with our luck

Frequent Contributor

There are two Hallmark stores near me (I haven't heard that they're closing, but who knows). I haven't been in either location for a long time (probably a few years).

To be honest, I don't send/give as many printed cards as I used to.  I do enjoy using various eCard websites (Jacquie Lawson, for one, offers some beautiful selections).

When I decide to send a printed card, I tend to buy it from wherever I happen to be - Target, CVS, grocery store, etc.  It just seems like an extra effort to make another stop to a Hallmark store, when cards are available elsewhere.

Also, I noticed a few comments regarding religious cards.  There is a lovely Irish import store near me (which I go to frequently for specialized teas and treats). They have a decent selection of religious-based cards that I buy for certain situations (sympathy, first communion, etc).

Respected Contributor
A couple that were franchised in our area. One was reopened and I believe owner by corporate. Hard to compete with dollar stores. My visits much reduced. Still enjoy ornaments.
Honored Contributor

@Solar Is My Namewrote:

End of an era. Less greeting cards are sent in general. Texting, social media, email, instant messaging seem to have crowded out cards. Found memories of REAL cards received.

@Solar Is My Name  That’s so true. I also use 2 online greeting card sites. If it’s someone special I like to send a personally signed card.

Honored Contributor

Now that you mentioned it the big Hallmark store close to me closed a few years ago and I don't recall seeing any anywhere lately.  I don't know if they are totally out of business but the way people shop has changed.  

Respected Contributor

@sunshine45wrote: 

my young adult daughter still loves going to the hallmark stores, especially for cards. she may be an exception though? she babysits several children and enjoys buying them cards for holidays and sending them in the mail. she has fun choosing them, they enjoy getting a piece of mail. she just sent out cute st patricks day cards and will send them all easter cards this week also.

That is really sweet and thoughtful. :-)

If you are neutral in situations of injustice, you have chosen the side of the oppressor. ~ Desmond Tutu
Respected Contributor

The quality of writting in Hallmark cards has gone away. The people they hire to write sentiments are terrible. Hard to find a Hallmark card with any sentiment that reflects my thoughts. 

Honored Contributor

@sunshine45wrote:

my young adult daughter still loves going to the hallmark stores, especially for cards. she may be an exception though? she babysits several children and enjoys buying them cards for holidays and sending them in the mail. she has fun choosing them, they enjoy getting a piece of mail. she just sent out cute st patricks day cards and will send them all easter cards this week also.

@sunshine45 - Good for her! I think there are few millenials who do this. My DD also buys cards for friends, not to the extent yours does, but she will go in to pick up a special card for people when she needs one. She also likes to pick up little gifts for friends.

I make my own cards. DH gives me the Hallmark program every year for Christmas, and I have a lot of fun with it! The only ones I don't make myself are sympathy cards. I always go to the store to choose those. 

Honored Contributor

@Lucky Charmwrote:

Hallmark's are franchized.  We looked into buying one about 30 years ago.

My usual grocery store carries Hallmark cards and I was in there yesterday to buy 2 more Easter cards. 

None of the cards had any religious reference to them.

They were either bunnies, chickies or pictures of flowers.  No images of Christ, the Cross or biblical scripts.

I noticed that too, with their Christmas card selection.  I wonder if it's just that way they stock [my] grocery store? 

@Lucky Charm

My grocery store has Hallmark cards and carries a wide selection of cards both of faith and secular...........

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”