Honored Contributor

I hope our Hallmark never closes.  We have two; one is ok but the other is perfectly situated near Trader Joe's and WF. The ladies in there are so nice and helpful.

I haven't bought ornaments in years, either.  They accumulate so quickly.

I do still receive coupons and that can be a big help around Christmas especially since I hand pick my cards.

I don't mind all the extra items they sell; lately they have been offering FAO Swartz and Stieff Bears items (spelling) and we bought a few of those for the wee one.

"" Compassion is a verb."-Thich Nhat Hanh
Honored Contributor

I loved Hallmark stores but I stopped buying cards there, they were up to $7.95 or so a card.  I can get incredible cards at Papyrus for that.

Now I almost always buy cards at Target, they have nice selections, especially at Christmas.

Cost Plus has affordable cards.

Honored Contributor

@Trinity11wrote:

We still have 3 stores near us. I will be quite sad if they do decide to close. I have kept many of the cards I have received over the years. In fact, I have a memory box where I put a lot of the cards and love looking at them from time to time.

Our Christmas tree is exclusively decorated with a collection of Hallmark ornaments that I have been collecting since the 80's. Each one elicits a memory of when they were purchased. Many were chosen by my children. This past Christmas we purchased some that my grandson chose.

I continue to send cards and probably always will. May be old fashioned but it's just a tradition that I started many years ago....

@Trinity11  I love sending cards and I love buying them for "just because" reasons, too.

I buy them for everything; even for congrats for a great report card.  LOL

I buy for encouragement when DS is not doing so well; I buy for DDIL everytime she finishes another semester for her degree;  I buy them for everything.  My family knows no matter what-good or bad a card is being bought by me.  LOL

Honored Contributor

I bought my Christmas cards at the Dollar Store this year. 16 cards for a buck! I bought 4 boxes. They were not cheap looking either - actually very nice cards. My cousin's wife & i got a good laugh - we sent each other the same card. She lives in Dallas  and I Fl. but they had the same cards at the same deal.

Respected Contributor

4 Stores here have closed, been years since  they were open.

Esteemed Contributor

I remember standing in line with my mom at the Hallmark store right after July 4th waiting for the new Christmas ornaments to arrive. We would buy bunches of them. Now they are way overpriced for cheap plastic and to juvenile looking. I ended up donating almost 200 of them to a local humane society after my mom passed. I buy my cards at Target, or sometimes Walmart or the grocery store. I’ve even gotten some cut cards at my UPS store. 

Honored Contributor

I buy most of my cards at Dollar Tree.  I can't see spending so much for a card that is going to end up in the recycling bin after a week.

If I do need a special occasion card, I have a friend with an Etsy card shop and will buy them from her.  They are every bit as nice as the Hallmark Signature and less expensive even with having to pay shipping.

Honored Contributor

I keep cards from my husband and daughter, a few others, but I've run out of room.  I have some in a pretty box under the bed, others at the sides of drawers.

I made cards for a few years, got a lot of stamps, ink colors, lace, etc.  It's a nice hobby but time consuming.

Trusted Contributor

Hallmark is near and dear to my heart because my dearly departed mother loved the store and we used to shop there alot.  It brings back fond memories everytime I visit.  I'm glad there are still two stores in my city, although they are across town and I don't visit them as much as I'd like.  I usually have to buy an ornament or two at the holidays, but I have definitely cut back in that department.  I usually go to Walmart to buy my cards because it is convenient. 

Honored Contributor

@Noel7wrote:

I keep cards from my husband and daughter, a few others, but I've run out of room.  I have some in a pretty box under the bed, others at the sides of drawers.

I made cards for a few years, got a lot of stamps, ink colors, lace, etc.  It's a nice hobby but time consuming.

@Noel7  Oh those cards when our children could barely write but still signed our cards.  *sob*

Now for me it's the grandchildren, although I have to say my son's handwriting can still be a challenge.  LOL

GS prints everything; his cursive signature is something else.Smiley Surprised