Honored Contributor

Re: Half way to having Daylight Savings Time permanent

This made me giddy today, happy surprise.  Article I read, said, it would go into effect if all is passed.  11/20/23.

Esteemed Contributor

@CelticCrafter wrote:

@CrazyDaisy wrote:

Guess the US feels they are special enoght to pick which time zone they want to use.

So are they going to make those places that do not currently change their time, adhere to this?

It's not the time zones they are changing, it would be the fall back spring ahead thing that would be done away with.

In effect they are.  The world is split into 24 time zones corresponding to the 24 hours in the day.  Staying on standard time puts the US  in sequential order with the rest of the world based on location.  Changing to daylight savings permanently will be changing the time zone for the US only.

Someday, when scientists discover the center of the Universe....some people will be disappointed it is not them.
Esteemed Contributor

@occasionalrain wrote:

Some years ago, in the 70s as I remember, we stayed on Daylight Savings into the winter. It created a problem for children who had to either wait  for their bus or walk to school in the dark. It was a safety issue then and will be now. I don't  mind the twice a year time change, but if that's to be eliminated than Standard time should be chosen. It's makes the most sense.

Around here I don't see many kids waiting for a school bus. The bus practically picks them up in front of their house. Most mommy's and daddy's take the kids to school every single day judging by the traffic.

Esteemed Contributor

@Kachina624 wrote:

As if winter wasn't depressing enough, who needs total darkness at 4:30 pm?  DST gives you another hour to get things done, see your home in daylight, commute in light instead of pitch darkness.

In Arizona summer is depressing enough. Who needs another hour of hot sunlight when the temps are 100 degrees plus for months on end. We don't need it to get dark at 9 pm.

Valued Contributor

No, this is not a good thing.  Daylight saving time does not make the "day" longer.  It shifts the day.  Not everyone is retired and sleeps until mid-morning.  DST in December/January would mean that it is dark until 8:30 in the morning.  Those of us who work would then be driving to work in the dark and driving home in the dark, instead of just driving home in the dark.  We would truly be moles.  Winter is depressing enough.

They tried this in the early 70s during the "energy crisis."  It backfired because school kids had to walk to school in the dark.  So parents drove them instead, using more gasoline.

Most school districts only have a limited number of buses.  As in my city, they likely already stagger start times for the elementary, middle and high schools so the buses can deliver to the first set of schools, then the second, then the third.  They will not have the luxury of shifting start times for all of the students.  And working parents will not have the luxury of changing their hours to accommodate different hours for the kids.

What they should do is change the DST start date back to the first Sunday in April.  Mid-March is too early and the mornings are now too dark.  And they should change the DST end date to the second Sunday in November so those of us who are trying to complete fall chores have that extra weekend we need.

Honored Contributor

well I am all for not changing the clocks back and forth--here in WA state, the powers that be passed a bill a few years ago to get rid of the time change and have been waiting ever since----just sign the stupid papers and get on with it!!! 

Honored Contributor

Time differences, having to add 5 hours to London, subtract 3 for California, is confusing for some. This DLS change will add to it, London will  be 4 hours ahead in winter and 5 in Summer. It's nonsense  to be a time rebel in a global  community.

Honored Contributor

I really don't see why it's so much trouble for some to change the clocks twice a year.  Personally, I like the old 6 month schedule better than this newer 4-ish month schedule.  But still, it really isn't that much of an inconvenience.

Esteemed Contributor

If the rest of the world uses standard time, why mess with it?  Lots of workers and travelers need to change time.

Why cling to DST and imperial measurements?

Esteemed Contributor

If the rest of the world uses standard time, why mess with it?  Lots of workers and travelers need to change time.

Why cling to daylight and imperial measurements?