Honored Contributor

Re: Half of seniors can not afford the basics; don’t have enough money to get by, cover basic needs

Many people cannot afford "supplemental insurance." much less the 80/20 plan, and thousands of dollars of deductable.

True for every age group.

Just to site ones own successful and fortunate situation, does not take into account the many Americans who have not been as fortunate.

And as others have pointed out, even though someone has saved and is comfortable, it doesn't take much in terms of a medical crisis, or natural disaster to wipe everything out.

I think what is wanted and needed (or should be) is understanding and caring of what a large percentage of Americans are facing.

Otherwise it is just selfish and not very humanistic to not care at all.

The "I"ve got my own so everyone else can get their own too and make sure not to take any of mine" mentality does not make for an America the beautiful.

"If you walk the footsteps of a stranger, you'll learn things you never knew. Can you sing with all the voices of the mountains? can you paint with all the colors of the wind?"
Frequent Contributor

Re: Half of seniors can not afford the basics; don’t have enough money to get by, cover basic needs

@River Song I’m so sorry for the loss of your dear husband. AML is such a brutal disease. One of our daughters’ friend’s fathers got it after Jim was diagnosed with ALL and he was gone in six months. There just seem to be no good financial answers in such situations. It seems that some would say that this or that would’ve helped in the planning for an event like horrible illness but unless you’re really wealthy, there simply is no way, at least not that I can see. And, as you say, it’s not someone’s fault that they come down with something like this: it just happens. My DH was in excellent health (ate well, exercised daily, no smoking, drinking, all the things we’re told to do and not do to stay healthy) and the bam, ALL. It’s the loss of the dreams too, like you say. We have friends who have lost everything due to early onset Alzheimer’s. They husband was sick and couldn’t keep a job but they didn’t know why until they’d exhausted their savings, house profits and all trying to stay afloat. Now, at 55, they’re broke and living on only SSDI. Once again, they’d saved and lived good lives and it’s gone. To any out there who have saved and planned and it’s worked, I’m glad for you, truly. It doesn’t always turn out that way so yes, your planning and saving was vital, but you’re very blessed and lucky too.
Contributor

@phoenixbrd wrote:

I have always thought that there should be a high school course in financial preparation 101.  Social security is not a living wage and was never meant to be.  Preparation for retirement years should begin your first job.  If possible, seek jobs that provide pensions.  This is a result of not educating our children.

I get your point and I am nit picking, but the OP was talking about Seniors.  I think if people had some sort of class in H.S back in the 1930's/40's/50's then alot of seniors would not be in this situation.

I am sterotyping here. But I think "kids" now a days or at least older boomers (people born in the late 50's to early 60's) to Gen Y people (late 80's to early 90's) are better at planning for their retirement then I see with alot of the "Silent Generation" (people born before 1945) and older boomers (1945-1956ish). 

I think the younger generations for the most part see what their Grandparents are going through (again,  I am making general statements.  As I will note below, I see alot of seniors on my husbands side of the family very ill prepared for retirement compared to my side of the family (or at least on my dad's side of the family, as my Uncle is a retired CPA so he helped alot of the family, inc. my grandparents and his parents get their money straight so they could retire. My mom's side like my husband's side with the older generation. Not great).

One Aunt of my husband had to ask people at my husbands Uncles funeral (his mothers brother) for donations to  help pay for the funeral, even though the Uncles death was not unexpected.  Plus still go back to work to finish paying for the rest of it and supplement her SS. She is 75 years old. She  works in a grocery store.

I do have family members in my age group (late 40's and early 50's) that are not planning for their future and I have a neice is totally obvlious to anything past 10 min. in the future (she is 26).  So it does happen with the "younger" generation too.   I think people need to know more about credit scoring also.  I am surprised how many people even in my age group who might be planning for their retirement, but have horrible credit. Which does not make sense. 

But in general I find that my family members who are my age and younger are alot more prepared for retirement than people in their 70's and 80's.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@River Song 

Forgive me for such belated condolences, but this is the first I have heard that your dear husband has passed.  I have been wondering why we have not heard from you and was afraid that this, or something like it, was the reason.

My sympathies and condolences just don't seem like enough.  Your situation now just adds insult to injury.  I won't begin to say "I understand", because I don't.  

You were there for me when I needed your words of encouragement, and now my words to you just seem so woefully inadequate.  I truly wish there was something more I could do for you now.💔🙏🕊❤️

Honored Contributor

@Nightowlz -

It's great that you and your husband have sufficient money to keep your house looking nice with repairs done.

If I saw a house in the neighborhood that needed repairs however, my first thought might not be disgusting but that they do not have the money, retirees or not, to repair.And there may be 1,000 reasons why they don't.

Maybe they once had money and don't due to medical, loss of job,helping family on and on..

I think a lot of women, and I'm not saying you, that seem to be the most judgemental of others with less, who have husbands who make a lot, and though some work as well there are many who don't!

That is so ironic that they judge others so harshly that are not as fortunate.

Anyway, it is a wonderful feeling to be able to take care of the house you own, but equally awful to not be able to.

"If you walk the footsteps of a stranger, you'll learn things you never knew. Can you sing with all the voices of the mountains? can you paint with all the colors of the wind?"
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Everyone I know who has federal or state insurance retirement plans are incredibly fortunate and have none of the incredible expenses of those who don't everytime they go to the doctors!

I know because I am one of the lucky ones and all my children and most I know are not.

I know I am so grateful but it is not right or fair to so many who do not have the same.

Everyone should "get it!" by now that you can work hard all your life, live below your means, pay bills, try to save, and it still might not enable you to afford to live, and that is taking into account, no disasters.

Because as many pointed out, the cost of living has not matched salaries in many states.

You can work 12 hour shifts as a nurse, or several shifts as a waitress, and your husband, if married have a good job too, then put in child care if children, it doesn't even seem to matter-degree held job or not, some of you seem to have no idea what is going on for so many in this country now, not 50 years or so ago, not even 20 or 30- but now!

Any human being with any amount of grace or humanity or inch of compassion has got to acknowlege this!

It is not a matter of who lives beyond their means or who is depression era frugal or in between.

Come on people! constant looking down and judging, and the complacency of some here and others all over our nation has got to change if we all are going to survive and live together in harmony.

The age of arrogance, selfishness, smug and incomprehensible judgement towards anyone not as lucky as you is over!

Remember that song?-

"Come on people now,

smile on your brother,

everybody get together

try to love one another right now,

Right now!"

What kind of world, what kind of neighbor, friend, nation do we want to become here?

Or is it ok as long as you and your  group have got all they need? Is that really how you want to live?

To be human IS to care about others.

Honored Contributor

@NickNack -

From what I have been told and read, medicare pays for a "well visit", not for an annula physical which entails blood tests, and other tests etc.

Basically i think a well visit just covers the very basic vitals and telling you what you should or need to do as far as further tests. Those you pay for unless you have some other kind of insurance that helps along with medicare.

It is very deceptive actually.

Respected Contributor

@on the bay....ITA with everything you say, but unfortunately, it is not reality. There are some who care, but many who do not. I can vouch for that. I deal with it every day.

I have only been a widow for several months. I have exactly two people who have supported me through this nightmare. Not one person on either side of DH's family has supported me or even asked if I need anything or if there is anything they could do for me. One so called friend offered to send me a grocery gift card, but never did. Needless to say, I don't have much faith in people, so I continue to fend for myself the best I can.

I promise to remind myself every day that I am strong, courageous, and resilient.
Honored Contributor

@catwhisperer wrote:

@on the bay....ITA with everything you say, but unfortunately, it is not reality. There are some who care, but many who do not. I can vouch for that. I deal with it every day.

I have only been a widow for several months. I have exactly two people who have supported me through this nightmare. Not one person on either side of DH's family has supported me or even asked if I need anything or if there is anything they could do for me. One so called friend offered to send me a grocery gift card, but never did. Needless to say, I don't have much faith in people, so I continue to fend for myself the best I can.

@catwhisperer 

Boy, do I understand that!  You sure find out who your friends are, don't you?  Most of my so-called "friends" seem to be in name only.  They talk a good game, but when it comes time to actually do something to help me out, they're nowhere to be found.  Funny, but they can manage to show up when they need help from me.  

It reminds me of the old story of "The Little Red Hen"and it does leave me somewhat unsettled about certain aspects of my future.

Highlighted
Honored Contributor

@on the bay wrote:

@Nightowlz -

It's great that you and your husband have sufficient money to keep your house looking nice with repairs done.

If I saw a house in the neighborhood that needed repairs however, my first thought might not be disgusting but that they do not have the money, retirees or not, to repair.And there may be 1,000 reasons why they don't.

Maybe they once had money and don't due to medical, loss of job,helping family on and on..

I think a lot of women, and I'm not saying you, that seem to be the most judgemental of others with less, who have husbands who make a lot, and though some work as well there are many who don't!

That is so ironic that they judge others so harshly that are not as fortunate.

Anyway, it is a wonderful feeling to be able to take care of the house you own, but equally awful to not be able to.

@on the bay, bingo. This is an observation that I have made many times.

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland