Honored Contributor

Re: Half of seniors can not afford the basics; don’t have enough money to get by, cover basic needs

The world just isn't the same as it was for those of us 60 and older.  I'm not sure why people refuse to acknowledge that.  

Super Contributor

Re: Half of seniors can not afford the basics; don’t have enough money to get by, cover basic needs

Not everyone lives in a state where you can buy a home working minimum wage. I live in NYC and it's hard to buy something affordable. Even people who make $100,000 have a hard time buying in Manhattan that's how expensive  it is. If you want to buy something bigger then a shoebox you have to go to the outer boroughs and they are still very expensive. 

Super Contributor

The way things are heading in this world where no one wants to look at other people's problems and empathizing, we are going to end up in a Soylent Green world. Rich people in homes and poor in the streets. At a certain age you know what happens.

Honored Contributor

@Nbo wrote:

Not everyone lives in a state where you can buy a home working minimum wage. I live in NYC and it's hard to buy something affordable. Even people who make $100,000 have a hard time buying in Manhattan that's how expensive  it is. If you want to buy something bigger then a shoebox you have to go to the outer boroughs and they are still very expensive. 

@Nbo, I didn't know that there ARE even states where you could be a house based just on your minimum wage.

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Super Contributor

@suzyQ3 wrote:

@Nbo wrote:

@Nbo, I didn't know that there ARE even states where you could be a house based just on your minimum wage.

@suzyQ3  Maybe decades ago.

Super Contributor

@tansy wrote:

The world just isn't the same as it was for those of us 60 and older.  I'm not sure why people refuse to acknowledge that.  

It pains me to say this, but for many over 60 who have been fortunate enough to enjoy financial security, there is little compassion for those who struggle.  The presiding wisdom among this group seems to be that those less fortunate simply didn’t do enough.  No matter that these people worked hard, often two jobs, just to make ends meet.  

I think most of us can agree that those making a great deal of money should save for retirement.  I’m sure we all know folks who squandered money that should have been directed toward retirement on McMansions, lavish vacations, etc.  But that’s not really what’s at issue here.  We’re talking about people with average or below average income who understably find that their paychecks can barely cover the essentials, let alone retirement savings.

I think for many it’s just easier to believe they are comfortable because they did everything the “right” way.  It’s easier to ignore the suffering of others if you can convince yourself that another’s problems are based on their own inadequacies.  I find this mindset to be cynical and profoundly sad.

Honored Contributor

@ZoetheCat wrote:

@tansy wrote:

It pains me to say this, but for many over 60 who have been fortunate enough to enjoy financial security, there is little compassion for those who struggle.  The presiding wisdom among this group seems to be that those less fortunate simply didn’t do enough.  No matter that these people worked hard, often two jobs, just to make ends meet.  

I think most of us can agree that those making a great deal of money should save for retirement.  I’m sure we all know folks who squandered money that should have been directed toward retirement on McMansions, lavish vacations, etc.  But that’s not really what’s at issue here.  We’re talking about people with average or below average income who understably find that their paychecks can barely cover the essentials, let alone retirement savings.

I think for many it’s just easier to believe they are comfortable because they did everything the “right” way.  It’s easier to ignore the suffering of others if you can convince yourself that another’s problems are based on their own inadequacies.  I find this mindset to be cynical and profoundly sad.

@ZoetheCat, unfortunately it is this mindset that seems to be the hallmark not just of an idealogy but now as a driving force in almost all aspects of our society through both open and more backdoor policies.

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Highlighted
Honored Contributor

@suzyQ3 wrote:

@ZoetheCat wrote:

@tansy wrote:

@ZoetheCat, unfortunately it is this mindset that seems to be the hallmark not just of an idealogy but now as a driving force in almost all aspects of our society through both open and more backdoor policies.

Trust me, it isn't just in the US. This thread has mentioned the basics which include housing and medical care; this, among other things,is part of a very large and needed discussion in the UK. Like everything else, talk to the people at the shoppes, around the villages, over a pint at the pub....what you read in the papers is NOT a true view of how things are going when it comes to housing, being able to pay for the basics and medical care (especially medical care). There are some serious problems and the same mind set many are disgusted by in this thread are very alive and strong in the UK. I hear similar rumblings from friends and family from all over the world. It's NOT good. 

Frequent Contributor

Health really can be the deciding factor. I married early (at 17) and we both worked until our first of four kids was born then I was blessed to stay home with them. Our youngest has disabilities and still lives with us but we were ok until DH got leukemia (ALL) at 57 (his peak earning years) and it all came crumbling down. We’d planned and he’d taken risks to advance in his career but the treatments to save his life completely disabled him. He’s 3 1/2 years out from incredible radiation and chemo for the stem cell transplant that saved his life but it also destroyed his health. It took two years for him to qualify for Medicare (during which time we paid $1500/month for COBRA) and now we pay through the nose for the best supplement available because we know he’ll need it. Our income is half what it was when he got sick but we’re lucky it’s even that. He needs full time care from me and today we found out he’ll be needing hip replacements. All this to say, you just never know. We did what we could, we’re normal, decent, hard working people but here we are. God has been good to us and I’m thankful that we still have our house and are ok so far but really, no matter how well you plan, it can all be gone very quickly.
Honored Contributor

I have lived modestly all my life, not striving for stuff & things.

I have some savings and I can live off my SS, if I'm very careful.

But life happens.

You can't account for every scenario.

But for a booming economy, I see a lot of people of all ages really struggling

The cost of everything is ridiculous and salaries have not kept up.

A modest home in my zip code, an area where the median income is half the national average, rents for $1200 per month.    So unless there are at least 2 or more incomes, I could never afford to live there.