Respected Contributor

Re: Half-Staff Flags: Until Sunset 9/30 (Fri)

@Stormygirl wrote:

LOL call me a rebel ....is probably why I dont fly any flag on a pole. I dont like to be told I have to do anything symbolic (especially for music stars, sports icons) unless I feel it is appropriate or close to my heart. I would do it for one of my fallen commerades but probably not for any head of state or country unless they made a very similar sacrifice.  Is just me and how I feel......nothing against anyone.

I suggest you read up on the life of Shimon Peres he was not just a head of state. His push for technology has helped keep our military safe. That is just a tidbit of what he has done.

Honored Contributor

I think anyone who has made a significant contribution to the world deserves it, including people like Mother Theresa

Trusted Contributor

I know what he has done......I was in the military. But it still doesnt change my feelings. I was speaking of sacrifice...not any contributions for technology. I knew the man who invented the modern Kevlar helmet which saved many lives inthe military but most do not even know his name.  

Respected Contributor

We fly the flag, but it's never lowered to half-staff. It's at the end of our very long driveway, in front of our house, and is rarely seen by anyone but us.

Trusted Contributor

Now Mother Theresa...yea now she made some self sacrifices and I read of her sufferage. WHen she died did she get the same? Was just wondering as I do not keep up with who gets this honor anymore. (I dont believe sports people and music icons should get that same honor though. Is just my HO and nothing more)

Honored Contributor

@Stormygirl wrote:

Now Mother Theresa...yea now she made some self sacrifices and I read of her sufferage. WHen she died did she get the same? Was just wondering as I do not keep up with who gets this honor anymore. (I dont believe sports people and music icons should get that same honor though. Is just my HO and nothing more)

I can't remember

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Stormygirl wrote:

LOL call me a rebel ....is probably why I dont fly any flag on a pole. I dont like to be told I have to do anything symbolic (especially for music stars, sports icons) unless I feel it is appropriate or close to my heart. I would do it for one of my fallen commerades but probably not for any head of state or country unless they made a very similar sacrifice.  Is just me and how I feel......nothing against anyone.

Symbolic...yes.

I believe our beautiful American Flag,

which should be flying high & proud all the time,

is slowly turning into a Flying Hallmark Card

on a national/worldwide level.

What makes me more sad, I'll see businesses with lowered flags

for days or WEEKS after they should be returned to full staff.

When I call, they proclaim, "we forgot".  Srsly?!

Respected Contributor

@Stormygirl wrote:

I know what he has done......I was in the military. But it still doesnt change my feelings. I was speaking of sacrifice...not any contributions for technology. I knew the man who invented the modern Kevlar helmet which saved many lives inthe military but most do not even know his name.  

The inventor of kevlar was a female chemist.

QVC Customer Care

QVC Customer Care