Honored Contributor

Re: Half-Staff Flags: Until 11/19

@IndiaRose wrote:

@bebe777

I do not believe we are all one except perhaps anatomically.  We are not one family, we are not global neighbors, we are not one in Christ nor anything else singular.  Lowered  flags will not stop monsters.  It is meant to appease the masses. Come on will ya.

@IndiaRose, the way that you see our world makes much more sense to me after having recently watched PBS's The Brain with David Eagleman last week (episode: Why Do I Need You?). I'm sure you could watch it on the PBS website.

I reference this episode because it's focus is specifically on why we feel more (or any empathy) for some people, while we feel less (or no) empathy for others. 

Eagleman's observation (based on his clinical research) was that people feel more empathy for others who are like them: people who are part of their group. 

Human beings are social animals and, in our developmental history, relied on their group(s) for their survival. So, from a genetic perspective, this is an innate part of our development and who we are. -- So from that perspective, I have some understanding of your perspective. 

That said, as human beings with highly developed prefrontal cortexes, we are reflexive and also have the ability to adapt to our environments. 

I grew up among a wide cross section of varied individuals and so the group that I identify with is a cross section of humanity. In fact, that is one of the reasons I enjoy living in a large metropolitan area. I really do see all of us as one people. 

And I don't stop there. I care about animals and our environment because I see them as an important synergistic and blessed part of the world that I live in. 

I am distressed about the ethnic groups that are mistreated (and killed) in Burma (Myramar). I am very concerned that Putin took over Crimea. I don't like the fact that many Georgians were displaced when Russia essentially helped South Ossetia (sp?) cecede from Georgia. I'm upset that indigenous Amazon tribes are displaced by South American potitical structures, multinational countries, and local loggers. That no one cares about the ruined post colonial political structures in many African countries is unfathomable to me. And that democratic structures in Iran were destabilized in the 1950 s aches my heart. I could go on, but I think you get the idea. 

My point is straight forward: I respect the way that you feel an that, in return, I would ask you to respect how I feel. 

Thank you, 

-- bebe Smiley Happy

____

My original post in this thread (post #6) that indiarose was commenting on...

@Puzzle Piece wrote:

I don't remember the French flying their flags at half staff for 9/11 and the hundreds lost to many here. 

@Puzzle Piece, I don't remember the specifics of what happened on 9/11. I was in the middle of it and a close family member was on a Boston to NYC 8am flight that morning (thankfully, he was safe).

But I do remember being sooooo very extraordinarily grateful at the amazing amount of worldwide support that we received. And this was at a time when the USA wasn't paying their allotted share of the UN budget and a number of key supportive countries were less than happy at certain US policies. 

All of that got put aside and we were the recipients of overwhelming generosity from the entire world. If I remember correctly, that night there were about 10,000 (or maybe 100,000) Iranians in Iran who held a silent vigil for the victims in the streets on Iran. 

Honestly, just writing about this right now still brings tears to my eyes and leaves me with this feeling...

When people in other countries are subjected to these inexplicable horrific tragedies, that they deserve all the support that the rest of the world chooses to give. 

This isn't about measuring expressions of grief to see that they balance out equally. The only thing that's important is giving whatever measure of support that can be given because, in the end, we're all human. 

This can happen to any one of us: 

je suis Charlie. Je suis Parisienne. I am Lebanese. We are all one and there, but for the grace of god, go I.

-- bebe Smiley Happy

___

Respected Contributor

@Puzzle Piece wrote:

I don't remember the French flying their flags at half staff for 9/11 and the hundreds lost to many here. 

And this should matter why?

I really am shaking my head.

Trusted Contributor

When did Class and Compassion, and Human Decency,become ****** for tat?

For what it's worth, I am so sick of seeing every problem, being somehow linked to the pos. 

We've  had problems and tragedy and crisis, since the Country came to be. Neither the problems nor the solutions ever lie with one person, one leader!

Although, if one Buffoon, who shall remain nameless, ever, somehow, reached power----all bets off!

Contributor

paris-911-attacks-02.jpg

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

If you lowered your flag for the recent Paris incident,

flags need to be raised back up to full staff beginning today.

Funny....I drive a busy 10-mile stretch of road every day.

I see approximately 20-24 American Flags.

Today, I saw close to 1/2 still half-staff....and 1/2 of those will still be down next Friday.   I make a quick call to the business & usually get an 'ahhhhh...ohhhh' response as to why they're still down.  Not a clue.

I dealt with this since all the time when I was Exec Customer Service for a national bank, so shoe's on the other foot now I'm retired. 

IMHO the American Flag should never, ever, ever be lowered...only if a President past/present passes away.  

Makes me me sad to see it down.

Kinda drives me crazy.

Fly it High & Proud!

🇺🇸🇺🇸🇺🇸🇺🇸🇺🇸🇺🇸🇺🇸