Honored Contributor

Re: Full Staff Flags: Senator John McCain

@ms traditional

yes, there has been a varying number of days, but NOT 1 1/2 days, not anytime recently.

it would be interesting to see when the LAST member of congress only had what the code stated.

you should read what denise rohan (national commander, the american legion) wrote to encourage the appropriate actions.

"The American Legion urges the White House to follow long-established protocol following the death of prominent government officials.

Just this year,  presidential proclamations were made noting the deaths of Barbara Bush and Billy Graham."  "Senator John McCain was an American hero and cherished member of The American Legion. As I’m certain you are aware, he served five and a half years as a prisoner of war in North Vietnam and retired from the U.S. Navy at the rank of Captain. He then served in the U.S. Congress for more than three decades.

On behalf of The American Legion’s two million wartime veterans, I strongly urge you to make an appropriate presidential proclamation noting Senator McCain’s death and legacy of service to our nation, and that our nation’s flag be half-staffed through his interment."

you can find this on usa today and on other websites. there have been other military service groups that have commented about the flag and about a recognition.

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein
Honored Contributor

thank you @NickNack.

have been reading and listening to so many different sites today and forgot where i had read that. i do believe i read it on other sites also.

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein
QVC Customer Care

Re: Half-Staff Flags: 8/27 until Day of Interment

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@sunshine45  

i found this of interest - when looking for when flags lowered.  this is from WaPo in 2016 and they do cite the code for Senators, Representatives, etc at day of death and day after. obviously that has been flexible..  

long story short:  there is no set rule - AND  the flag is back at half staff.

smile, America!  

QVC Customer Care

QVC Customer Care

This post has been removed by QVC because it is inappropriate

QVC Customer Care

Esteemed Contributor

It’s a shame that it took so long for the right thing to be done.Senator John McCain was a selfless patriot who deserves better.Nothing, however,will ever detract from his greatness.

QVC Customer Care

This post has been removed by QVC because it contains a live link which is political

QVC Customer Care

Re: Half-Staff Flags: 8/27 until Day of Interment

This thread is closed for commenting.