Respected Contributor

Re: Half-Staff Flags: 5/30, (M) Until Noon only

[ Edited ]

@faeriemoon wrote:

@birkin baby wrote:
This day is so important. I am having my nieces and nephew write a short essay on Memorial Day vs Veteran's Day vs Independence Day. Apparently they don't learn this in school these days. They just think it's a day off.

I'm sure they'll be thrilled about that.

Is there a reason why you can't  just explain it to them?

Well, I'm not so concerned with them being thrilled about it. Of course could EXPLAIN it to them. I have a degree in history and a certification in secondary education. I try to do different things to help them learn. A SHORT essay helps with research,writing, and spelling skills. I don't understand why you seem to think that's a bad thing.

Honored Contributor

@ms traditional wrote:

@proudlyfromNJ wrote:

It honors the dead in the morning and living veterans in the afternoon when it is raised. Tradional from at least early 1900s.

interesting.  no wonder people confuse "Memorial" Day  with "Veterans" day.  since memorial denotes those that have given the ultimate sacrifice, i think the flag should be lowered all day to honor the fallen.   i honor living veterans on Veterans Day -  and whenever i have an opportunity. 

Well, it's been this way for over 100 years and you are just questioning now? 

Honored Contributor

@birkin baby wrote:

@faeriemoon wrote:

@birkin baby wrote:
This day is so important. I am having my nieces and nephew write a short essay on Memorial Day vs Veteran's Day vs Independence Day. Apparently they don't learn this in school these days. They just think it's a day off.

I'm sure they'll be thrilled about that.

Is there a reason why you can't  just explain it to them?

Well, I'm not so concerned with them being thrilled about it. Of course could EXPLAIN it to them. I have a degree in history and a certification in secondary education. I try to do different things to help them learn. A SHORT essay helps with research,writing, and spelling skills. I don't understand why you seem to think that's a bad thing.

I don't think it's a bad thing.  I just can't picture myself asking my nieces to write an essay for me, but I could picture myself explaining the significance of the holidays to them.  

Not criticizing; just curious.

Respected Contributor

@proudlyfromNJ wrote:

@ms traditional wrote:

@proudlyfromNJ wrote:

It honors the dead in the morning and living veterans in the afternoon when it is raised. Tradional from at least early 1900s.

interesting.  no wonder people confuse "Memorial" Day  with "Veterans" day.  since memorial denotes those that have given the ultimate sacrifice, i think the flag should be lowered all day to honor the fallen.   i honor living veterans on Veterans Day -  and whenever i have an opportunity. 

Well, it's been this way for over 100 years and you are just questioning now? 

yep.

Honored Contributor

@sidsmom and everyone else -- they're doing it at 12:01 too. Here is the link from the Iraq and Afghanistan Veterans of America. It's called the "Go Silent" pledge;

GO SILENT

Respected Contributor

I do get confused between Veterans' Day and Memorial Day--and it's not due to a lack of education.

I come from a family where many of my relatives served either in the military or law enforcement However, I remember my parents talking about Memorial Day. Yes, we always put the flag on display.  My siibling and I were in the Scouts and we leanred about respect for the flag.  I don't remember Memorial Day being especially for the war dead. I do have a memory of my mom going to the graves of deceased family and friends to tidy up and put fresh flowers. (Decoration Day.) If the weather was nice on Veteran's Day, we would put the flag up. That definitely was to honor veterans.

It seems that Memorial Day took on a different oonnotations in  a post-9/11 era. Then I can remember that day was also a day to remember the fallen  They wanted to call it Patriot's Day. (Massachusetts already has a Patriot's Day.)

This is probably why people get confused.

Valued Contributor

I  read  a long article in my local paper, and according to the rules of flying the flag, this is the correct protocol. Raise it full up at sunrise, then immediately lower it to half staff till noon, and then raise it full up till it's taken down. This is for memorial day only, I believe. 

Honored Contributor

@beach-mom wrote:

@sidsmom and everyone else -- they're doing it at 12:01 too. Here is the link from the Iraq and Afghanistan Veterans of America. It's called the "Go Silent" pledge;

GO SILENT

How interesting, @beach-mom.    I wonder why they decided to add a separate moment of silence instead of honoring the "National Moment of Remembrance" which @sidsmom referenced.    In any event, both are thoughtful suggestions and something I hope Americans know about and will observe.Heart

Nice thread, @sidsmom.

Few things reveal your intellect and your generosity of spirit—the parallel powers of your heart and mind—better than how you give feedback.~Maria Popova