What does the (F) in the OP mean?

Respected Contributor

Re: Half Staff Flags: 3/2 (F) only

@151949wrote:

What does the (F) in the OP mean?

That the date falls on a Friday.

Respected Contributor

you are aware of the prayers of invocation and benediction at inaugurations,etc???

@occasionalrainwrote:

By honoring a religious leader, it give the appearance of endorsing the religion he represents. Will they do the same for other religious leaders? It sets a bad precedent, causes unnecessary resentment.

The government has no business getting near anything, anyone affiliated with religion of any kind.

Honored Contributor

Billy Graham had a love in his heart for all people.  He was loved all over the world and contributed much to racial relations here in our own country. He was mentor and friend to many of our Presidents.  Even the Queen of England admired him. 

Yes, he is mostly known for being a preacher and an evangelist but should that disqualify him from being honored for his great contributions to the whole world and people of all beliefs?  I don't think so.  His Samaritan Purse organization alone has gone above and beyond helping so many people all over the world.

Trusted Contributor

Thank you for the thoughtful notification, @sidsmom

I agree with those here who see this as an appropriate national sign of respect. 

Respected Contributor

@jubilantwrote:

Billy Graham had a love in his heart for all people.  He was loved all over the world and contributed much to racial relations here in our own country. He was mentor and friend to many of our Presidents.  Even the Queen of England admired him. 

Yes, he is mostly known for being a preacher and an evangelist but should that disqualify him from being honored for his great contributions to the whole world and people of all beliefs?  I don't think so.  His Samaritan Purse organization alone has gone above and beyond helping so many people all over the world.

I agree but Samartian's Purse is actually a ministry of Billy's son, Franklin Graham.The team was recently working in Northern Iraq and doing so much good.  

Respected Contributor

@HiLowrote:

@jubilantwrote:

I agree but Samartian's Purse is actually a ministry of Billy's son, Franklin Graham.The team was recently working in Northern Iraq and doing so much good.  

they are also helping the Rohingya and so many others.  SP always seems to be at forefront of relief efforts where desperately needed.

Honored Contributor

@occasionalrain
Just curious why you feel Churchill was OK but Mandela was not?

I do wish Billy Graham had never become so heavily involved in politics, that is supporting and being closely aligned with specific individuals. He himself admitted in his later years that was a mistake. I think it sent a bad precedent.
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@bikerbabewrote:
@occasionalrain
Just curious why you feel Churchill was OK but Mandela was not?

I do wish Billy Graham had never become so heavily involved in politics, that is supporting and being closely aligned with specific individuals. He himself admitted in his later years that was a mistake. I think it sent a bad precedent.

**************     From different things I have read... he tried hard to stay out of politics but when presidents wanted his opinion....it was very hard.  I think he also regretted those times he didn't.  It would be hard (especially if a president was asking your opinion) which I believe  many of them did.  When he did speak out (politically) he was da....d by the left.  When he didn't bring his religion to the table he was da...d by the right.  A very unusal hard place for anyone to be.   It's a place I don't think he thought he'd ever find himself.  I think he did the best he could and still hold to his convictions and be true to himself and his God.    

Honored Contributor

Churchill was allied with our country in WW2, Mandela had nothing to do with our country.