Esteemed Contributor

Re: Hairdresser tipping question

[ Edited ]

For many years I was going to SuperCuts and the price to cut my short-wavy hair was around $12 to $15. I'd tip $5.00. A couple of years ago, I realized that I should tip more. SuperCuts now charges me $18 (senior price) - and I give the hair-dresser $10. When I get a GREAT cut (no shampoo/blow-out), I'm so happy - and I could see how happy the hairdresser is as well. 

Trusted Contributor

Well, where does it end? Paying the same tip as the cost of the service? 25% is very high in my opinion. Perhaps it is considered de rigour in the city, however, in economics, items always attempt to reach an equilibrium point and often there is a strong over compensation to reach it.I am reminded of two areas whereby the overcompensation exists. One is Uber or Lyft and AIRbnb . These businesses were born out of the outrageous prices being charged for transportation and hotels. In the example of each, they are a reaction to the expectations in the industries that the prices had no ceiling and people would continue to pay.

Respected Contributor

Basic tip is 20%. If service was above par, tip more if you are so inclined.

Honored Contributor

You can’t go wrong with being generous and a cheerful giver.

Honored Contributor

@RetRN wrote:

No right or wrong amount, tip whatever you are comfortable with and can afford. 

@RetRN...exactly. No one should dictate how much anyone should tip for a service. My opinion...tip based on the level of service received...anywhere from 0-100%.

Time is just a drop in the bucket compared to eternity. It isn’t how long you live that matters; it is how well you are prepared to die. ~~Colonel Robert B. Thieme, Jr.
Trusted Contributor

[ Edited ]

I go to my hairdresser 6 times a year, who I have been with for years  I go to a high end salon in a large downtown ciry.  I am usually there for 2 1/2 hrs while she dyes, washes, cuts, blowdries, and styles my hair.  I tip her 25% and all said and done, costs me $180 per visit.

Respected Contributor

I live in Metro NY area and tip 25% to my long time hairdresser. My standard visit is a single process hair color and haircut . I go once a month. I was curious with what the OP has been doing (regarding a tip) for the past 27 years w/ the other hairdresser if she had these questions about tipping at a new one?
Honored Contributor

@KKlim wrote:
I live in Metro NY area and tip 25% to my long time hairdresser. My standard visit is a single process hair color and haircut . I go once a month. I was curious with what the OP has been doing (regarding a tip) for the past 27 years w/ the other hairdresser if she had these questions about tipping at a new one?

@KKlim- a friend of ours cut our hair.  She was a hairdresser for years, but doesn't work in a salon anymore.  She cut it just as a friend.

Why is it, when I have a 50/50 guess at something, I'm always 100% wrong?
Honored Contributor

i just did this about 2 months ago. Had to change my place to get hair done (she moved to new salon). Prices are very high for this new salon,but I like the hair lady I see. She was able to get cut on the pricing for all the customers she brought over to new salon.

I pay $30 for hair cut and $55.00 for frost/plus lip rip (the mustache hairs removed).  I tip my hair lady $10.00 if it is just a cut (no blow dry—do not have any hair left—very short and baby baby fine) if she is frosting my hair plus cut then I tip $15.00

Honored Contributor

I tip 20%.  I find the trim and highlights cost is so expensive.  I walk out with an almost $200 bill.  It takes her a bit less than 2 hours. That's a lot of money IMO especially for not being in Chicago or NY or LA.  I'm in Indiana!!

"friends don't let friends drink white zinfandel"