Honored Contributor

Re: Hairdresser tipping question

I am of the opinion you tip 20% for a personal service.

Frequent Contributor

Just had my haircut yesterday and would have like to have seen this post. My hair cut was $45.  The stylist is the owner and she is one of the best I have ever been to for sure. She makes my very straight thin hair look fabulous!  I tipped her $14 (guess I over tipped) but believe me that young woman is like a miracle worker with my hair!!!

Esteemed Contributor

@Cakers3 wrote:

@sophiamaria2 wrote:

what if he/she is the owner of salon...still 20%?   I wish I got tips at my job Smiley Sad 

@sophiamaria2  I tip the owner 20% and give the person who washes my hair $5.

If I did that (20% to the sylist...which I do), the person who washes my hair would get as much as the stylist.  Fair?

Keepin' it real.
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

It was always 15% and I am not sure where this 20% came from.  I tip 15% and I always give a Christmas gift.   Cat Happy

kindness is strength
Respected Contributor

I've been with my stylist for years and through multiple salon changes. I typically tip 20-25%, depending on what I'm having done. I recently went from shoulder length hair to a longish pixie type style and I tipped 30% for that cut because it took a LOT of time to get it done correctly. I usually double tip at my last appointment prior to the holidays. 

~The more someone needs to brag about how wonderful, special, successful, wealthy or important they are, the greater the likelihood that it isn't true. ~

Respected Contributor

I give my stylist $20 no matter what she does--usually just dying my hair and trimming my bangs--which costs around $80.  I give the lady who shampoos $5.  I often ask to be put into the schedule with very little notice and they are wonderful about that. 

Respected Contributor

Love my hairdresser. She is young and on her own. Works two jobs. I always over tip.

Esteemed Contributor

@Teddie wrote:

It seems so crazy to me that the amount we tip now is the amount I used to pay for a cut. And it used to be, depending on the location, if you gave a few dollars as a tip it was considered generous, because it wasn’t always expected that you must tip and really was like a gift. Then it turned into 10%, then 15%, then 20% and now even 25% is expected by some. And meanwhile, the prices of services continue to go up. I continue to tip but I don’t like the feeling that it’s expected, and if one didn’t, they would be looked at in an unfavorable way. 

@TeddieSense of entitlement?  But they're not totally at fault.  They've probably learned that it doesn't matter what kind of job they do, people are happy to tip them because they don't make much of an hourly wage or they have a sad story (single mother) or need to work two jobs.

It's often...IMO...a charity tip.  And it could be people with the tip jars out don't even understand the purpose of a tip is a reward for providing service above and beyond what is expected.

Keepin' it real.
Respected Contributor

I really get angry at all this tipping. They are doing their job for criminny sakes. And that is really expensive what you have stated. 

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

I don't know much about the business, but I know that in my salon, the hairdressers pay "chair rent" for their stations and that most of their income is from customer tips.  

Don't go to a salon if you don't like the system, but don't blame the hairdressers.  That is difficult work and often with difficult clients. Their major income is in tips.  Of course you don't have to tip but getting angry at people who like to pay for good work that has been done well?  Getting angry because people receive tips?  I don't understand that.