Honored Contributor

Re: Hairdresser tipping question

@sophiamaria2 wrote:

what if he/she is the owner of salon...still 20%?   I wish I got tips at my job Smiley Sad 

@sophiamaria2  I tip the owner 20% and give the person who washes my hair $5.

"" Compassion is a verb."-Thich Nhat Hanh
Valued Contributor

20 %, so I’d round it off to $12.00.
Honored Contributor

This comes up all the time.  You would each tip 15-20%.  Personally, I tip hairstylists 20% and when she cuts, colors, blow drys and styles, I tip 25% because I have long thick hair it takes time when I have "the works" done all at the same time.

Honored Contributor

@sophiamaria2 wrote:

what if he/she is the owner of salon...still 20%?   I wish I got tips at my job Smiley Sad 

Yes, of course.  Owner or not, she is still doing the same work.

Respected Contributor

I  agree with the others.

20%

If you have a garden and a library, you have everything you need.--Marcus Tullius Cicero
Honored Contributor

It’s a pretty small shop. My husband and I will be coming in with clean hair, so no hair wash. I have “Jamie Lee Curtis” short hair. It’s going to be an easy cut for both my husband and me. 

I’ll tip 20% of the total. 

Why is it, when I have a 50/50 guess at something, I'm always 100% wrong?
Trusted Contributor

It seems so crazy to me that the amount we tip now is the amount I used to pay for a cut. And it used to be, depending on the location, if you gave a few dollars as a tip it was considered generous, because it wasn’t always expected that you must tip and really was like a gift. Then it turned into 10%, then 15%, then 20% and now even 25% is expected by some. And meanwhile, the prices of services continue to go up. I continue to tip but I don’t like the feeling that it’s expected, and if one didn’t, they would be looked at in an unfavorable way. 

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

Teddie, I agree. Where I live, one, if not the most expensive city in the country, they, the salon adds 4% on to cover healthcare costs. It's a city mandate. I feel like everyone has their hands out today.

Trusted Contributor

@ahoymate wrote:

Teddie, I agree. Where I live, one, if not the most expensive city in the country, they, the salon adds 4% on to cover healthcare costs. It's a city mandate. I feel like everyone has their hands out today.

@ahoymate  I haven’t heard of that here but who knows if they have it built into the price. I don’t like that. 

Respected Contributor

It's a separate line item they have to show on the receipt. I won't blow your mind with the cost of a cut or color. Let me just say it's very expensive. Of course, this is a high end salon. I've tried many,many, many did I say many salons? You stay where you get the work you want done.