Honored Contributor

Re: Hair Styling Products attract aerosolized virus?

[ Edited ]

@stuyvesant wrote:

@Mindy D wrote:

I checked multiple databases and there are no studies done on this so far. Any answer is just a guess. My guess is that, unless you're using a very waxy substance that remains wet/waxy so that air particulates stick to it; you're probably OK. I did just finish reading an article from scientists that are only studying aerosolized COVID versus droplet. These scientists are calling for more openness  with the public about their findings. If you want to wash your hair after an outing, it can't hurt, but it's unknown whether it helps cut viral transmission.

There was something in the paper this morning about a new bacteria found in hair spray.  Old study, newly reported in the news.  Don't ask me to find it.  It's out there, it's all out there lol.

@stuyvesant @EUREKA, I found it.  You should understand that this bacteria lives in the hairspray liquid. It's not picked up on head hairs that are sprayed and then the soray dries and the person then picks up the bacteria.

Yes, there is a new species of bacteria (not virus) that has been discovered in hair spray. Microbacterium hatanonis, which was found to contaminate hairspray. Japanese scientists discovered this new species of  bacteria and published in March in "The Journal of Systematic and Evolutionary Microbiology." It is not yet known whether this bacteria can harm humans. Here is a quote from one of the researchers.

"Dr Bakir from the Japan Collection of Microorganisms, Saitama, Japan. "We discovered a new species of bacteria called Microbacterium hatanonis, which we found contaminates hairspray."Contamination of cosmetic products is rare but some products may be unable to suppress the growth of certain bacteria.

"We also found a related species, Microbacterium oxydans in hairspray which was originally isolated from hospital material. Microbacterium species have been identified in milk, cheese, beef, eggs and even in the blood of patients with leukaemia, on catheters and in bone marrow."

Society for General Microbiology. (2008, March 9). New Species Of Bacteria Contaminates Hairspray. ScienceDaily. Retrieved July 6, 2020 

@stuyvesant I read the full study and I've added a link to it. The type of hair spray is not mentioned. The ingredients of the hair spray is also not mentioned. This is not a new study. https://doi.org/10.1099/ijs.0.65160-0

Honored Contributor

@stuyvesant wrote:

@germanshepherdlove  I'm sure it's unintentional, but I thought your thread title was pretty inflammatory and misleading.

Pitter pat went my heart and that carried me through reading about when you and your husband wash your hair.

I would say, do what makes you comfortable.

@stuyvesant I agree, the title really has nothing at all to do with the actual post.

Respected Contributor

Maybe it is another promotion to purchase a wig.

We could all shave our heads and wear scarf or hat or wig.

We could save money on hair products.

Nay, maybe not such a good idea, but then again???? Who knows.

Anything concerning Covid-19 should be considered.

Honored Contributor

If that were true, I would certainly have caught the virus by now (along with whatever that hair spray bacteria is).  Maybe I have.  I haven't been sick, but I also haven't been nor intend to be tested until I get some reason to believe that having the antibodies actually provides protection.  I am out and about not a lot, but as I need to do things (grocery, Lowes, eating out, Praise Team practice, pet food store, etc.).

Trusted Contributor

@CelticCrafter wrote:

@stuyvesant wrote:

@germanshepherdlove  I'm sure it's unintentional, but I thought your thread title was pretty inflammatory and misleading.

Pitter pat went my heart and that carried me through reading about when you and your husband wash your hair.

@stuyvesant I agree, the title really has nothing at all to do with the actual post.

Well, if I had to make somebody's day, it might as well be @germanshepherdlove 

Honored Contributor

@CelticCrafter wrote:

@stuyvesant wrote:

@CelticCrafter @The title is related to the post. It's also phrased as a question. I don't see any reason to think the title and post are not connected. It's just a question a poster has based on information she's read and how she and her husband are handling things. She just wonders if anyone else thinks the way she does. 

Honored Contributor

Just always thinking..... and now that I'm actually thinking about it, I'm only guessing/asking that anything sticky might harbor cold/flu/whatever pathogens...........?  

I believe a pathogen is something (dust or any partical, molecule, etc.) that a germ/bacteria/whatever rides on top of.  From what I learned in middle ? school or somewhere.

Well, as long as hairspray on hair is completely dry, I'm fairly confident that it wouldn't be a magnet.

Allegedly, and only thinking out loud, of course.

'More or less', 'Right or wrong', 'In general', and 'Just thinking out loud ' (as usual).
Esteemed Contributor

@chiclets wrote:

Maybe it is another promotion to purchase a wig.

We could all shave our heads and wear scarf or hat or wig.

We could save money on hair products.

Nay, maybe not such a good idea, but then again???? Who knows.

Anything concerning Covid-19 should be considered.

It worked out pretty well for Persis Khambatta.

Persis Khambatta - WikipediaPersis Khambatta - Wikipedia

The eyes through which you see others may be the same as how they see you.
Esteemed Contributor

A friend sent a memo from a Dr. and he said a shower & hair washing isn't necessary after shopping, etc. He also said you don't need to wipe off groceries. 
  Maybe not but I do both! I got groceries today, wiped everything down, took dogs out,  weed trimmed the flower beds and jumped in the shower for a needed hair wash. Then gave myself a shorter haircut, I'll take another shower before bed on clean sheets!

Honored Contributor

Oy there are some times I have no words and this is one of them

Stop being afraid of what could go wrong and start being positive what could go right.