Honored Contributor

Re: Hair Styling Products attract aerosolized virus?

I checked multiple databases and there are no studies done on this so far. Any answer is just a guess. My guess is that, unless you're using a very waxy substance that remains wet/waxy so that air particulates stick to it; you're probably OK. I did just finish reading an article from scientists that are only studying aerosolized COVID versus droplet. These scientists are calling for more openness  with the public about their findings. If you want to wash your hair after an outing, it can't hurt, but it's unknown whether it helps cut viral transmission.

Trusted Contributor

@Mindy D wrote:

I checked multiple databases and there are no studies done on this so far. Any answer is just a guess. My guess is that, unless you're using a very waxy substance that remains wet/waxy so that air particulates stick to it; you're probably OK. I did just finish reading an article from scientists that are only studying aerosolized COVID versus droplet. These scientists are calling for more openness  with the public about their findings. If you want to wash your hair after an outing, it can't hurt, but it's unknown whether it helps cut viral transmission.

There was something in the paper this morning about a new bacteria found in hair spray.  Old study, newly reported in the news.  Don't ask me to find it.  It's out there, it's all out there lol.

Valued Contributor

@stuyvesant sorry.  Smiley SurprisedHeart

Trusted Contributor

@germanshepherdlove wrote:

@stuyvesant sorry.  Smiley SurprisedHeart

I know.

Valued Contributor

@Mindy D  the styling product we both use is wet and waxy.  Even when I use Wen products....so that is concerning to us.  Thank you for all of your information.  Heart

Honored Contributor

I don't remember a single word ever that styling products could be magnets, but somewhere deep in my memory I do think I heard a recommendation that we shower totally if we have been somewhere that made us feel we'd been in a dangerous environment.  For example, care workers in hospital settings were being encouraged to shower head to toe ASAP after returning home.   Sort of like all of us are encouraged to wash our hands upon returning home from anywhere -  whether we wore gloves or used sanitizer.

I just can't imagine your hair products create extra danger.

Honored Contributor

@germanshepherdlove That's about the silliest "theory" I've heard!

And it's not good for your hair to be washed every day. I learned that as a teen and I'm 72. Constant washing strips your hair of natural oils it needs.

I am still laughing at this whole thing. Good grief!

Honored Contributor

@germanshepherdlove 

Perhaps the simplest solution for you .... WEAR A HAT!

Valued Contributor

@Love my grandkids wrote:

@germanshepherdlove That's about the silliest "theory" I've heard!

And it's not good for your hair to be washed every day. I learned that as a teen and I'm 72. Constant washing strips your hair of natural oils it needs.

I am still laughing at this whole thing. Good grief!

@Love my grandkids I'm glad I gave you a good laugh.  One needs that now. 

Valued Contributor

@ALRATIBA wrote:

@germanshepherdlove 

Perhaps the simplest solution for you .... WEAR A HAT!

@ALRATIBA My hair is very long.  I guess I should have mentioned that.  In fact, because I have not been to a hair salon in awhile.....super long like almost waist length.