Highlighted
Super Contributor

Had to Put Down My Sweet Girl Yesterday...Prayers Please

OMG...We had to put down our 17 year old sweet girl kitty yesterday afternoon. It was literally the most traumatic event in my life.

My kitty was diagnosed with kidney failure a few months ago. She also had severe arthritis, and was on medication for that. She had recently stopped defecating and started wetting all over the house (no bladder control). We took her to the vet a week ago with the intent of putting her down. We had to see a different vet than we usually see, and she wanted to try medications. We gave that a try without any luck for a week.

Usually she is terrified of the car or going to the vet. When I picked her up to take her in yesterday, she did not even whimper. She did not even cry when the vet shaved her leg or injected the needle.

I am angry at myself that I let that vet talk us into letting her survive and suffer for another week. Mostly, I am just plain devastated and cannot stop sobbing. It also hurts to see her sibling kitty walking around looking for her.

I was an RN for years, so I thought I would be stoic when it came time to put her down. No way. It is so different when it is someone or something you love.

I would appreciate all prayers, and I would also appreciate being directed to places on the internet where we can purchase unique memorabilia for deceased cats. We are having her cremated, and we are also having the paw print made.

I just lost my brother unexpectedly three weeks ago, so this is a double whammo. Thank you all so much. I know many of you are pet lovers.

Some people do drugs. I do shoes....Celine Dion
Respected Contributor

Re: Had to Put Down My Sweet Girl Yesterday...Prayers Please

So sorry for your loss of your Fur-Baby

~A Picture is Worth a Thousand Words~
Valued Contributor

I am very sorry for the loss of your brother and the loss of your dear kitty girl. It is never easy to let our fur babies go, no matter how long we have had the gift of knowing them. I've also found that the end is never how I would wish it to be, and there is always second guessing. I just have to tell myself that I made the best decisions I could with the information I had at the time. I am sure that you did the same. And I am certain that she knew how much you loved and cared for her. Hugs to you and your family.

Valued Contributor

I am so sorry for your loss, of both your brother and your kitty. My heart is breaking for you and I just whispered a prayer that God will give you peace and comfort and that you will feel his love for you in this time of sadness. Sammycat (Schmoo's mommy) may be able to help you with finding a website to order the things you are looking for. Again, I am so sorry for your loss, and please don't beat yourself up (I know you do and I would too) about keeping her alive for another week. She is no longer suffering, take comfort in that. You are in my thoughts and prayers. May God give you peace and comfort.

Respected Contributor

I will tell you what my vet told me last year when I went through the same thing. I have a vet but I use a different vet that comes to my home when it is the time. I have used her three times so far and trust her. She told me that my kitty was not suffering at that point and they were more in a drifting state, sleeping most of the time but not in pain. That was the only reason I waited another week and a half using iv's but eventually he quit eating and it was time. I called her every other day and said are you sure he's not suffering and she said no I would tell you if he was. She had no reason to lie to me since I was doing the work and she wasn't charging me for all my phone calls.

So sorry for your losses but try not to feel guilty.

Honored Contributor

A very hard day for you indeed. Adding sympathies and wishing you happy memories of your girl once the sadness subsides. I'm also sorry to read about your brother. My sypmathies there as well. As for the timing of everything, you're right, it's a big Whammo and it just s*ucks. BTDT.

Super Contributor

So sorry for your loss. I think I would have made the same decision to give the meds a chance. Your girl knew you were doing all you could for her. Better to have tried than to live with the regret of not knowing if there was more you could have done. You will be in my thoughts and prayers. RIP sweet kitty.
Respected Contributor

Oh I'm so sorry. Do not be angry with yourself. You made a decision based on the information you had available to you at the time, you can't second guess that.

Honored Contributor

I'm so very sorry for both of your recent losses. I know how guilty you feel for waiting, but you would be even more regretful if you hadn't tried every last thing. You would always be second guessing if you moved too quickly, and there possibly would have been more time. Now you know for sure. And it gave you the time to say goodbye.

I have been through what you just did quite a few times, and it never is easy, but time will make the hurt somewhat less. All we really have control over is the way we take care of each other (animals and humans alike) while we are here, and work to make others lives better. I'm sure you did with both your brother and your beloved fur baby, and they were so lucky to have you for the time they were here.

Many prayers that your burden will be lightened, and your heart ache lessened.

Esteemed Contributor

Omg..losing your brother and your kitty..!! So sorry..! ((((hugs)))

Don't cry for a man who's left you--the next one may fall for your smile.
-- Mae West